Mid ESSEX February Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..looks like I talked myself into this one...Saturday Feb 7th Kick off 11am (for 11.15 Latest off) Billericay station. Here is an initial suggestion for the route IRO 35miles easy going, no mountains:biggrin:

Bike route toaster link here:
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=28356
(For GPX file download hit the summary tab on this page and scroll down)

I would suggest we do this ride clockwise to benefit from hills...but it's a nice loop either way.

CAR Parks:
Billericay station car park
Waitrose car park (up to western end of high street behind super market)
Pay and displays half way up high street on norther side or at lake Meadows swimming pool near station.

additional Train stations at Ingatestone, Brentwood if anybody needs to bolt. Billericay is about 35mins out of Liverpool street.

I see this ride as a take it as it comes easy going ride...stragglers will not be shot and left in a ditch:biggrin:

This loop is ridable without a triple easily.

Depending on interest and feedback we could extend the route a little...possibly take in Ongar/Galleywood...but if it's bad weather i reckon 35 miles will do. The route takes in some nice lanes, some nic evillages like Stock, Ingatestone and Blackmore..it also has some A road riding and a small section in Brentwood town which isnt to busy mostly. Several nice pubs en route as well. Riding clockwise, my fav part of the loop is the second half.

There's even a campsite if anybody feels like it:ohmy::biggrin:

If the weather is nice I'll take the Bianchi, if not I'll take the Galaxy.

If you are riding then leave your mark on this thread so we can get an idea of numbers.

Here is the rider list so far:

ChrisKH
Ben Lovejoy
Auntie Helen (on Ride communications officer)
Richard
1Leg Rikk & Friend
Bleakanddivine
Stevevw
Sig Silverprinter
wlc1
Madcyclist (cyclesocial)
Fatfellafromfelixstowe
David (Cycle social)
tdr1nka

SamR2D2
User3143
ianrauk
The Doctor
iLovebikes
Origamist
djtheglove
Katie (from YACF)
Sittingduck

Burak
Blaugrana
Batzman
Aperitif
BigonaBianchi(Bigtallfatbloke)

Running Total 28

If you cant make it please say so asap and I suggest we all check this thread the night before the off in case of any last minute changes etc...cheers.

If anybody feels the need to take a mobile number in case of emergency etc pleae PM me

Hopefully the snow and ice will have long gone by the weekend, however if there is snow/ice on Saturday I will take the decision to re schedule the ride for safty reasons. Please therefore check in on this thread as late as possible on Friday night in case this becomes necessary.

Weather forcast here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1495
and here:
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomorrow.asp?zipcode=billericay

ChrisKH

Guru
Aye. :tongue: Got to get a pass first though. :evil:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
If I'm in the country then, I'll be there - will confirm nearer the time

I live about 7 miles away, so no excuse for not doing this one :-)

1LegRikk

Hi there, stumbled on this site while looking for rides in Essex and find lots of stuff going on :sad:

Just wondering if it's all right to tag along with a friend?

I've been doing mtbing for the past 3 years and only got myself a road bike (hybrid) a month ago for a change of pace and to keep a little cleaner.

Sig SilverPrinter

Hopefully if husband / kids let me !
Am near Romford so by train do i have to change at Shenfield ?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

most excellent..looks like there will be about 12 of us so far.

..yep tag along with as many friends as you want:smile:

Am near Romford so by train do i have to change at Shenfield ?[

Nope..just get on a Southend Vic train at Romford and get off at Billericay.;)

...Ok peeps I have just got in from riding this loop on my big heavy Galaxy...arctic foggy frost out there , really cold, icy patches on the road and the reservoir looked pretty frozen to me...not one other cyclist did I see:biggrin:

I left my GPS on and as such have some 'stats' for those that like that kind of thing...

Trip Odom 52.4 Kilometers = 32.56136 Miles
Max Speed 52.3 Kilometers = 32.49922 Miles
Overall ave 24.1 Kilometers = 14.97574 Miles
Moving ave 24.7 Kilometers = 15.34858 Miles
Total ascent 429 Meters = 1407.54900 Feet

I actually deviated a little from the loop we will ride as it was easier to get to/from home for me...but 95% of the ride was on this loop. Our actual loop will be a few miles longer than what I just rode today.

I dont know how those stats compare with your own but it's irrelevant...we ride at the speed of the slowest, have some fun and a chat...I had to ride at my normal pace to keep warm today!

Basically the first stage is high street, then a nice long downhill, that a flat stretch. The route up into Brentwood is a steady climb with two small hills to negotiate and this stretch is on an averagely busy A road...although there was less traffic today as it is a saturday. Then it's pretty flat as we go through pilgrims hatch and on into the Village of blackmore...where they still have the village stocks on the green...so bring some rotten eggs and stuff:biggrin:....then it's downhill through Ingatestone (nice village) and downhill pretty much all the way until we approach Stocj where there is a short hill into the village...again a nice village (where the posh peeps live!)...then it's all flat and downhill as we head off around the reservoir...where there is a nice quiet free house village pub (Three compasses) with a real log fire and real ale and hot food or the bigger Windmill...anyway...then it's a steady climb up through Downham up past Norsey woods (great forested nature reserve if thats anybodys thing and they feel like zipping off for a country walk or something:o)....and back into Billericay and to the station.

...ok so basically a simplt easy ride with a mixture of quiet lanes and faster A roads, town riding and open roads...hope thats ok.:laugh:

...right...where's my log fire I need to thaw:biggrin:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Norsey Woods is lovely in bluebell time but I think I'll give it a miss in midwinter...

Well done for trialling the route. We only stopped for a bit of cake in the last cyclechat ride, rather than a full meal (actually I think some members of our group did eat a bit more, now I think about it), but are you thinking of us stopping for some pub grub? It's quite an appealing thought...

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

..we could...to be honest the ride isnt a very long one and on todays ride I didnt even drink as I rode and had no need to stop...but I think as it will be February a lot will depend on the weather...if it's bright and sunny thats one thing but stormy and wet...hmm...like I said there's a log fire pub about 2/3rds into the ride...I didnt see any 'cafe's though...but ther ehas to be such a thing in Ingatestone somewhere i reckon. Alternatively we could ride the entire route and finish at Lake meadows cafe near the station so peeps can chat, warm down before their trains home?

I dont mind...I'm so used to solo riding (and I rarely stop to eat unless i'm touring)...I'm unsure of the 'form'...but we can run with whatever peeps want on the day....or we should decide how we all feel on here first?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
The pub with open fire 2/3 of the way through is what rather caught my attention! It probably does depend on what everyone else wants to do, though, and whether they want to stop (and perhaps get chilled) or keep going. Probably best to see what the general consensus is on the day, especially as it might be weather dependent.

stevevw

Guru
Looking forward to this one. Will we ever get out of that pub? :evil:

Just had a thought I will be driving down in my van from North Herts so if any of you are needing a lift let me know (as long as you are not too far off my route).

Top Bottom