Mid ESSEX February Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Aperitif said:
Yes - my intention is to ride it - the sleety stuff is blotting everything in London central at the mo - but I'm sure that's a passing thing...:laugh:

Unfortunately, Jack the dog got a puncture in his rear wheel when riding a TT earlier this week (he doesn't winalot) and gives his apologies. He'll be out with a chum.:smile:

I just need to get my compass out now and point it East...to foreign parts.:biggrin:

Thankfully you're as fit as a dog's butcher?:biggrin:

And try to be on time, there's a good Chappie.:blush:
If Jack isn't doin well in TTs you'd think he'd Caeser chance for some training?

(Shhhh! td...It's not the place for this...:blush:) This is serious.

ChrisKH

Guru
BigonaBianchi said:
Chris I'll be riding up Noak hill to Billericay..so if you want to hook up just shout.

I will likely be on my galaxy. Watch out for a bigtallfatbloke in night vis jacket with hi vis vest and white hat:biggrin:

Thanks, but I might have to go above pootle speed then. :laugh:

No helmet? :blush:

ChrisKH

Guru
Come via the Jubilee Line and change at West Ham.

That way you can go through Barking and the Isle of Dogs (groan).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Metcheck update for tomorrow, looks good to go
partly cloudy / fair

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomorrow.asp?zipcode=billericay

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Weather here in Colchester (40 miles East of Billericay) has been surprisingly decent all day. Was woken by sleety rain on the velux windows but that stopped at 10am and we've had no rain since. I wore my waterproof trousers for my 19 mile Uni commute today... and didn't need 'em.

Have just washed my trike and put most of it in the car. We discovered one of the QR seat fixings wasn't on properly and has worn away some paint off the metal on the seat so we're checking it's not done anything too dodgy. I think a wrap of insulting tape should solve the prob. Anyway the trike is reasonably shiny and fresh-looking, unlike its rider!

See y'all tomorrow!

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
ok peeps listen up...:smile:

I have just ridden this loop today. I will be honest and say that it was a tougher ride than usual because of the weather. The snow is melting and all the roads we will ride are clear. There were however several spots where the road was under about 2cm of water for reasonable stretches due to the melt water so mudguards are going to help I would say. The usual short cut I take (yes I do cheat occassionally!) was flooded and totally impassable without dismounting and walking across the ped path/ 'bridge'...but we wont ride there so it doesnt matter.

The fields were still covered in snow but it is melting fast and should be gone by morning. It's one of those 'dark' sludgy days here so I had lights on all the way around.
Hopefully the weather tomorrow will be a bit better.

I say this so that you all have a fair idea of what to expect, and so that nobody roles up in a just T shirt and shorts because if they do hyperthermia is an option on this ride:laugh:

I have given some thought to stops. I would suggest that we dont stop too early in the ride and chill down when we still have a ways to go. (There is a park style cafe at the rugby club on the way up into Brentwood if anyone desperatly needs a loo or a caffine fix etc...but it's not particulary nice imo). I think doing it this way round means we get the A road stretch over and done with up front before any stop/alcohol intake etc:laugh:

My suggestion would be this:

We ride clockwise, and have a short break for those in need in Ingatestone where there is a small bakery/cafe and a chippy and a small supermarket jobby etc.

Then we will head down to Stock, (where if anybody has had enough or is suffering from frostbite or something they can turn right and be back at Billericay station in 10 mins) & on to the 3 compasses in Hanningfield and stop there. It is a small pub and if we all show up we might easily not all fit in..so if that happens just around the corner is a bigger boozer...I forget the name but I think its something to do with windmills...I have never been inside but it is bigger and I know the CTC rides stop there regularly.

It is then a relatively short ride back to the station at Billericay which I feel would be better for those, who like me, chill down easily and/or those who might partake in a few ales etc.:smile:

ShameDavyo cant be with us...so we might need another tail end charlie...any volunteers?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Alas, the cold sleety rain is now in Staines! And theres local snow coming down now!

I have swapped numbers with tdr1nka and will let him know if i cant make it, but it takes alot for me not to cycle!

So if I dont cya all, have fun while am wrapped in my duvet!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
BigonaBianchi said:
There were however several spots where the road was under about 2cm of water for reasonable stretches due to the melt water so mudguards are going to help I would say.
This is your opportunity, if you decide you take against the up to 3 trikers on this route, to get your revenge. My backside is 10cm above the asphalt so if you want to hear me shrieking you can route us through a ford...

Top Bottom