Middle Class Jobs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roxy641

Ketchup is most definitely a sauce of the bourgeoisie, the proletariat eat brown sauce.

I used to have brown sauce on my dinner, but now I don't. As I have never eaten Ketchup does this now mean that I'm "Classless"

keithmac

Guru
I know a few people who try to act "Middle Class", it's excruciating to watch.

I know others who are extremely well off financially who are down to earth, no pretence.

You are who you are, trying to be something different is just weird imho. I suppose it depends on how much value you put on what other people think?.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
[QUOTE 4481140, member: 259"]If you're middle class, you don't have a job, you have a career.[/QUOTE]
And not just a career, it also has to be in a profession.

macp

Guru
I remember a story where the writer was talking about some characters in his village. He noted that the lord & lady of the manor would get on like a house on fire with the chap who cut the grass and swept the streets. But there was a chap who would stride importantly about the village with a pipe and a pristine cravat stuffed into his shirt. You know the type. He would sneer and be generally unpleasant to the gardener but would desperately try to get the attention of the lord & lady. They could not stand him and would avoid him whenever possible. This chap in actual fact was no better than the gardener but believed he was on a similar level to the aristo`s.

Anyway I found it an interesting story related to class.

Roxy641

If you have gravy at least once a week then no.

Don't have gravy very often, perhaps once a month.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This chap in actual fact was no better than the gardener but believed he was on a similar level to the aristo`s..

Some of us would say he was absolutely right - no-one is "better" than anyone else because of an accident of birth. We're all born equal.

Some might say I went from working class to middle class when I gave up working on the tools to working in the office but I wouldn't as I have and always will be working class.
Worked with some great people in the office but never really felt comfortable which in the end assisted me in retiring early.

Julia9054

Guru
Class is a combination of education, job, wealth and upbringing.
How you categorise yourself depends on the order you put these four things in.
I would say I am middle class mainly based on the first two. I know people very similar to me who would call themselves working class. It is not for me to say they are wrong which is why it is all a nonsense.

Reactions: srw

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Class is a combination of education, job, wealth and upbringing.
How you categorise yourself depends on the order you put these four things in.
I would say I am middle class mainly based on the first two. I know people very similar to me who would call themselves working class. It is not for me to say they are wrong which is why it is all a nonsense.
By the standards of today my entire family would be called 'middle class' but if they were alive they would all be horrified at that, they were all solidly working class but well off..................................and were all proud Labour Party members, in fact my Great Grandfather was one of the founders of the Labour party and was on the National Executive Committee.

Top Bottom