Middle class things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Pesky commas... you look away for a second and they run off.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No because I'm self employed, they can't be because they could only work for me for 6 months in any one year as self-employed and to be honest they don't want the hassle.... the more I think about it, neither do I!

What's employment got to do with notions of class?
Traditionally the nature of one's employment and one's employment status was taken as a hugely significant indicator of one's class.

Else, for instance, why did they ask me what my father did for a living when, as a junior, I applied to join the local golf club. (I was granted 'artisan member'status but only because of my low handicap)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Traditionally the nature of one's employment and one's employment status was taken as a hugely significant indicator of one's class.

Else, for instance, why did they ask me what my father did for a living when, as a junior, I applied to join the local golf club. (I was granted 'artisan member'status but only because of my low handicap)
There is a whole layer of society in rural Northumberland that is invisible to 99% of the population, I only hear about it occasionally- they are the ones we should worry about, because they own everything..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There is a whole layer of society in rural Northumberland that is invisible to 99% of the population, I only hear about it occasionally- they are the ones we should worry about, because they own everything..
I'm not worrying about anyone, as it happens, though I suspect the % is probably nearer 99.9%

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anybody that uses a word that I have to look up the meaning of is, by definition, middle-class in a "slipped it into the conversation like I use it all the time" kinda way.

"cavil".....I mean, FFS

:laugh:
Well pardon me for having gone to a comprehensive school.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I realised I had become middle class* when I found myself grinding rock salt onto the ice on our doorstep, when I couldn't find any 'normal' salt in the cupboard. :smile:

*wrong side of the tracks upbringing :thumbsup:
...and when you started sprinkling wine vinegar on your chips?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
With apologies for taking the thread into a slightly more serious direction, and building on some of the things that have been said - all class distinctions are very artificial. As a species we like classifiying things because it helps us make sense of the world, but all of those classifications say as much about the people who make them as they do about the people being classified.

According to the BBC thing I'm in the Elite. Which is certainly true financially, certainly not true socially or politically, and probably not true in many other ways.

Top Bottom