Middle class things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I found myself at half past six this morning crushing black peppercorns in a mortar and pestle so that my daughter would have some seasoning for her school cooking lesson! Take ready ground? What? Never!

screenman

Legendary Member
Making the move to joining the exploitative classes innit.

Do you consider every employer to be in that class? Must admit I never thought of giving people a job and a skill as exploiting them, good job I do not do it any more.

screenman

Legendary Member
How often do people employ other people out of the goodness of their heart? The normal arrangement is that the employee needs the money and what they do for the employer is worth more to them than they pay the employee.

I see some cases of that, I also see and know many people who prefer being employed rather than self or unemployed.

Could you give me a better idea of how things could work out, rather than the employer/employee thing.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am beginning to worry I am not middle class any more. I subsist mainly on tinned food and oven ready chips.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You may well be all of that but it doesn't mean that you haven't now changed into a middle class person
And I'd not cavil at the middle-class bit, in fact I'd revel in it, but the established part is laughable.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I employ 3 people, I do not 'get more' than 'them', some years [including the last 2] I get less but they: have a guaranteed monthly payment, don't have to worry where their pay is coming from, don't have to do anything about: tax, running the business, balancing money in with money out, dealing with the bank, dealing with insurance, being financially responsible, being responsible for mistakes they make and they have job security... what's class got to do with anything, unless you think that it has value?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
But when I were a lad you could not be on the PAYE and be middle-class. I was told that by someone who owned a Humber ?Snipe? (it had swivelling reading lights in the back seats) and had a mortgage on an architect designed house so it must have been true.

EDIT: Humber Super Snipe Series V

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I employ 3 people, I do not 'get more' than them, some years [including the last 2] I get less but they have a guaranteed monthly payment, don't have to worry where their pay is coming from, don't have to do anything about: tax, running the business, balancing money in with money out, dealing with the bank, dealing with insurance, being financially responsible, being responsible for mistakes they make and they have job security... what's class got to do with anything, unless you think that it has value?
Are your tax arrangements the same as theirs?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
No because I'm self employed, they can't be because they could only work for me for 6 months in any one year as self-employed and to be honest they don't want the hassle.... the more I think about it, neither do I!

What's employment got to do with notions of class?

screenman

Legendary Member
I employ 3 people, I do not 'get more' than 'them', some years [including the last 2] I get less but they: have a guaranteed monthly payment, don't have to worry where their pay is coming from, don't have to do anything about: tax, running the business, balancing money in with money out, dealing with the bank, dealing with insurance, being financially responsible, being responsible for mistakes they make and they have job security... what's class got to do with anything, unless you think that it has value?

They may be exploiting you.^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom