Middle class things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a thought.
100 years ago the country was reliant and lived on the wealth created by workers in factories and on the land. We relied on the working classes.

Now where does our wealth come from? The manufacturing and agricultural sectors are not significant and we now rely on the middle classes that seem to mainly shuffle information and money around. While we knock the middle class they are now the backbone of our economy!

Drago

Legendary Member
Our wealth comes from financial activity the buying and selling of shares and currency for the purposes of making a profit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Once I brought some paprika back from Budapest and Mrs Gti gave a bag to a pretentious friend in middle-class Oundle. Months later we went for dinner with them and pretentious friend served up the dinner with the words: "I get my paprika specially imported from Hungary..... Oh!"

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Once I brought some paprika back from Budapest and Mrs Gti gave a bag to a pretentious friend in middle-class Oundle. Months later we went for dinner with them and pretentious friend served up the dinner with the words: "I get my paprika specially imported from Hungary..... Oh!"
Black Marketeer eh. :whistle: Be finest Chinese silk stockings next.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Ah the old paprika ruse.....sounds like an episode of Breaking Bad

Venod

Eh up
I have trouble with this whole class thing. I am old enough to know better but I still find it hard to define what each class is and who belongs in which :wacko: in my opinion there are nice people and some not so nice people and some right peanuts.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I realised I had become middle class* when I found myself grinding rock salt onto the ice on our doorstep, when I couldn't find any 'normal' salt in the cupboard. :smile:

*wrong side of the tracks upbringing :thumbsup:

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
I don't think you can pigeon hole anyone into a 'class' these days. People are who they are, no more no less.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I realised I had become middle class* when I found myself grinding rock salt onto the ice on our doorstep, when I couldn't find any 'normal' salt in the cupboard. :smile:

*wrong side of the tracks upbringing :thumbsup:

We use the stuff you get in 25kg bags from Wickes. I'm not sure whether that makes me working class (knowing where the nearest Wickes is) or middle class (having a driveway big enough to justify buying 25kg bags of salt)

Tin Pot

Guru
I don't think you can pigeon hole anyone into a 'class' these days. People are who they are, no more no less.

The Great British Class Survey:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

New classes and classification criteria:

• Elite: This is the most privileged class in Great Britain who have high levels of all three capitals. Their high amount of economic capital sets them apart from everyone else.
  • Established Middle Class: Members of this class have high levels of all three capitals although not as high as the Elite. They are a gregarious and culturally engaged class.
  • Technical Middle Class: This is a new, small class with high economic capital but seem less culturally engaged. They have relatively few social contacts and so are less socially engaged.
  • New Affluent Workers: This class has medium levels of economic capital and higher levels of cultural and social capital. They are a young and active group.
  • Emergent Service Workers: This new class has low economic capital but has high levels of 'emerging' cultural capital and high social capital. This group are young and often found in urban areas.
  • Traditional Working Class: This class scores low on all forms of the three capitals although they are not the poorest group. The average age of this class is older than the others.
  • Precariat: This is the most deprived class of all with low levels of economic, cultural and social capital. The everyday lives of members of this class are precarious.

Globalti

Legendary Member
In most developing countries it's simpler than that - if you've got a job and you own a house you're labelled middle class and you have become a consumer.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Great British Class Survey:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

New classes and classification criteria:

• Elite: This is the most privileged class in Great Britain who have high levels of all three capitals. Their high amount of economic capital sets them apart from everyone else.
  • Established Middle Class: Members of this class have high levels of all three capitals although not as high as the Elite. They are a gregarious and culturally engaged class.
  • Technical Middle Class: This is a new, small class with high economic capital but seem less culturally engaged. They have relatively few social contacts and so are less socially engaged.
  • New Affluent Workers: This class has medium levels of economic capital and higher levels of cultural and social capital. They are a young and active group.
  • Emergent Service Workers: This new class has low economic capital but has high levels of 'emerging' cultural capital and high social capital. This group are young and often found in urban areas.
  • Traditional Working Class: This class scores low on all forms of the three capitals although they are not the poorest group. The average age of this class is older than the others.
  • Precariat: This is the most deprived class of all with low levels of economic, cultural and social capital. The everyday lives of members of this class are precarious.
They missed out over-educated under-resourced - probably the largest and fastest-growing 'class' in the UK - and the the entire developed world for that matter. Cultured enough to appreciate fine wines, but reduced to £3.30 Tesco Spanish Red. *sob*.

Top Bottom