mike e planning again !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mike e said:
What's everyone's thinking?

Saturday before Chrstmas?

Tuesday or Wednesday between Christmas and New Year?

I'm thinking the Saturday before...

'i' lad...and aye lad.:biggrin:

Think of the bits we liked. List, then ride to them all.
OK meet at Cookham Station, ride up hill to Jolly Farmer.
The end.
Sat before 'xmas' will be awful on Putney High Street - best not go there then! :smile:

Kings X, Tower Hill, here and there and back along to Sloane Square then Kings Road, nip around Richmond Park a full lap or so, out at Star and Garter, Richmond Bridge out of town - to Windsor for an in and out via Taplow to Jlly Frmr...I dunno - where are you thinking of riding us mikee? :biggrin:

No point in doing Box Hill etc because that is happening on Crock's 'Best Dressed' Ride...:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

mike e

So Saturday 19th Dec looking good. At the moment the cheaper fares favour the early train down arriving KX at 08:04 and leaving KX on the 18:40.

It would be nice to ride until say 3pm, a couple of hours in the pub - 5pm, leaves an hour to get to KX, which gives me a 40 min buffer. This all depends on where we may end up, if it's a boozer outside Kings Cross (which I doubt it will be) I wouldn't need an hour to get there...:biggrin:

Heading up north into stevevw territory sounds good, best to avoid busy London crowds and traffic, happy to catch a train out somewhere or back..:smile:

It's all a bit vague again...

OP
OP
M

mike e

ok, an idea.
This is a pub I have visited a few years ago
2w582ms.jpg

It was very nice and is located in the Chilterns at a place called "Christmas Common", it seems very fitting for the ride but would mean a train out and back, maybe to Maidenhead, regular trains and £9.50 return from Paddington.

OP
OP
M

mike e

More checking of the map and Maidenhead is just a stones throw from Cookham Dean and the Jolly Farmer.

Train to Maidenhead.

Ride out to the Fox & Hounds, Christmas Common - lunch and beers
Ride back to the Jolly Farmer, Cookham Dean - afternoon beer session

Wobble to Maidenhead and train back to Paddington

stevevw

Guru
Mike, Just thinking the Saturday before Christmas the traffic may well be nasty. May be better on one of the other dates you suggested?

Does your train stop at Stevenage?

PS we have a place called Cold Christmas round these here parts.

OP
OP
M

mike e

stevevw said:
Mike, Just thinking the Saturday before Christmas the traffic may well be nasty. May be better on one of the other dates you suggested?

Does your train stop at Stevenage?

PS we have a place called Cold Christmas round these here parts.

I can catch a train to Stevenage and return from Stevenage later in the day, thus missing central "nasty" London...:becool:

Everyone else could train it up from London to meet for a ride round your neck of the woods? is this feasible?

Thought and comments?
Need to book el cheapo train tickets sooner than later?
Pain I know, but look what forward planning gave us last Saturday...:laugh:

OP
OP
M

mike e

Can't be naffed to route it out proper but straight line from KX to Christmas Common and back = 73 mile + lot's of climbing, by the time you add in a proper route your probably not short off 100 miles + lot's of climbing.

Therefore, new hardcore ride =

08:04 arrive KX

Ride to Christmas Common

Pub lunch, or sandwiches / Wimpy burger in beer garden if pub is busy...:becool:

Ride to KX depart 18:40

Who's in???????????????????

Sig SilverPrinter

i don't work over xmas so any would be fine
dates after xmas could be turned into sigs b/day piss up then again the 19th could be an early b/day celebration:biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
As usual I will be up for a ride around Christmas.

Before would probably be better as I'm not sure what my plans are for in between yet.

But I could always ditch the family to go for a ride :biggrin:

Sig's birthday would make it a double celebration, which means twice as much drinking ;) , perhaps I should look at getting a trike or stabilisers.
Does this mean we'll have to supply the cake this time Sig? And how many candles should we put on it, 21 or 22? :blush:

OP
OP
M

mike e

mike e heading south again........:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ok, it's booked. We can now come up with a suitable title for Sig's birthday / post christmas / pre new year ride and drinks...

A messy and dangerous idea could be a pub crawl on bikes but that might end in tears............................and hospital...

A better idea might be a nice ride, guided by steve, to end up in a pub late afternoon...ish for a big messy and dangerous session in the boozer (I shall now try to incorparate southern speak to please Ian...:smile:)

Anyway we've got some time to make it really special for Sig and it will hopefully be a massive surprise unless she read's this...;)

Here are my train times:-

Arrive Stevenage - 09:06 and depart Stevenage 19:47

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee from mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Top Bottom