MRI - Well that was an experience.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
redjedi said:
Ahhhh....that's sad, not at all funny like I hoped it would be :headshake:

We did have an incident where a pillow went flying into the scanner. It felt like a feather pillow, but an x-ray showed it contained a whole load of springs. No dangerous, but certainly curious!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The patient in front of me, as she was coming out, collected her stuff, and promptly went towards the bed to put her watch back on - using the bed to hold the watch in place..... let's say both the nurse and the 'technical' person got her away quick... bye bye watch.....

I was in a portable uni (in the back of a HGV trailer) - they had the hospital based one going, and the portable one - patients were going out different doors - steady flow though....loads being scanned.

redjedi

Über Member
magnatom said:
We did have an incident where a pillow went flying into the scanner. It felt like a feather pillow, but an x-ray showed it contained a whole load of springs. No dangerous, but certainly curious!

That's a bit better, but I was hoping for something like an embarassing piercing that they didn't want anyone to know about, until it was too late :headshake:

redjedi said:
That's a bit better, but I was hoping for something like an embarassing piercing that they didn't want anyone to know about, until it was too late :headshake:

Ah, there was a chap that couldn't remove a certain item of jewelery, one of my collegues had to test it in situ to see if it was ferromagnetic. We tease him to this day...

'Was it magnetic, or was he just pleased to see you...?'

:cry:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Do you think we'll ever get personal mri scanners that we can load as software onto our mobile phones? So you just glide it over the body (missus), it goes bibbidy-bibbidy-beep and hey presto, an image you can put up on the interweb at MyMRI.com? Just a thought... xx(

Fnaar said:
Do you think we'll ever get personal mri scanners that we can load as software onto our mobile phones? So you just glide it over the body (missus), it goes bibbidy-bibbidy-beep and hey presto, an image you can put up on the interweb at MyMRI.com? Just a thought... :biggrin:

:wacko: Not in my life time! Ye canny change the laws of physics xx(.

There is talk of research going into low magnetic field MR i.e. just using the earths magnetic field instead of having to use a huge, costly superconducting magnet. Even that is a long way off.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Iv'e had three MRI's done over the years. I know what you mean. It's like being inside a washing machine.

But the machines certainy seem to be getting quieter, or maybe I'm getting deafer. They also seem to be cooler now. The 1st one I was in was a mobile unit in the back of a truck and felt like an oven. Most recent one was very cool.

Not for the claustrophobic as you said. The last one I had was a head-first job but there was a little mirror which let me see what was happening outside the tube. Felt much more relaxed about the whole thing

ChrisKH

Guru
Have had one done - I was surprisingly claustrophobic and had to close my eyes and try and breathe normally. I have a fear of caving and the like (have never been, so it's mostly irrational) so I should have realised I might react that way.

I have subsequently had surgery and now have a number of surgical staples about my person. Does this mean I can't be scanned in the future?

User3094 said:
This is kewl - you do this forum a servce Magnatom!!

So now you've explained an MRI, how do they differ from CAT and PET Scanners?

It's much much better! :blush:

Seriously that would take a lecture course. One big difference is that there is no 'radiation' in MRI, so you don't come out Radioactive Man! :smile:

ChrisKH said:
I have subsequently had surgery and now have a number of surgical staples about my person. Does this mean I can't be scanned in the future?

Not necessarily. I have got metal pins in my knee and I've had my knee scanned since. It depends on the metal, where it is, how long it has been there etc.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Crikey! Exploding pillows! Supercooled Helium! Deaths! High frequency cock rings! Magnatom, old mate, how do you like your martini's?

Wolf04 said:
Do they make one for the larger gentleman :blush: I thought I wasn't going to fit!

It can be a problem here in Glasgow!

Yes they do make XXL scanners. They are called open MRI scanners. The pictures aren't quite as good, but larger patients can be scanned with relative ease!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
magnatom said:
It can be a problem here in Glasgow!

Yes they do make XXL scanners. They are called open MRI scanners. The pictures aren't quite as good, but larger patients can be scanned with relative ease!

That was my thought - if you are larger than a skinny'ish cyclist, then it's a tight fit.... the bed's aren't terribly wide - just about wide enough for me....

TBH it was just the ruddy noise I was scared about...felt better when I was sat next door to the machine and could hear it first. The noise is pretty constant, it's not as though it suddenly starts and stops....the keeping still was hard work, I'm a right fidget......

I joked that I hoped it wouldn't pull my fillings out.....:blush:

Top Bottom