MRI - Well that was an experience.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
magnatom said:
I should also add, and I am sure Cunobelin would agree, that CT, MRI, SPECT, PET etc are more often than not, complimentary. They rarely look at the same things, so despite what people think we don't compete against each other.B)

But physicists and radiographers do!

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm fat and claustophobic. I've had one MRI scan and it was terrifying!!! Not something I'd care to repeat anytime soon!

Cunobelin said:
But physicists and radiographers do!

It depends where you are and exactly what sort of work the physicists do. Where I work, we all get on pretty well (at least I think so). I really don't think there is any conflict. I know in other departments this is not the case, but I think this is often down to local politics, more than anything else.

We've had this discussion elsewhere, anyway! B)

THe problem with metal is that it can be of different types. Some metals can either be moved (dodgy if it is a clip holding a blood vessel or a metal shard in an eye) or heat up in some cases.

Older clips, joint replacements and similar can be a problem as they have an Iron content, but most modern ones are OK as they were designed to be MRI compliant.

You simply need to know what type of metal implant. Even if you only know its age it is occasionally possible to assess from an xray as to the "make and model"

This is whythere is such a strict questionare before a scan.

Also obey the instructions!

When asked to leave your credit card in the changing cubicle - do so or it will be wiped!

magnatom said:
It depends where you are and exactly what sort of work the physicists do. Where I work, we all get on pretty well (at least I think so). I really don't think there is any conflict. I know in other departments this is not the case, but I think this is often down to local politics, more than anything else.

We've had this discussion elsewhere, anyway! B)

Friendly rivalry in our case!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeh..but that hole isn't that big when you are in it.....

It's the flippin noise.....normal mech eng says it's about to break..... hence why Mags works on Physics on his bikes, and the rest of us do Mechanics........ compare Mag's bikes to mine..... hmmm.......... and he and his fellow's are shoving me into a funny thing..... that works on Mag's rules...........argh.........:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:;):smile:;):biggrin:;):biggrin:;):sad:;);););)

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I quite enjoyed the MRIs I've had. It really is like some kind of minimalist techno music when you're in there. However, I've never managed to stay awake until the end, I always get woken up as I get slid out of the machine....

lazyfatgit

ha! if only i could get an mri.hmph

aparentltly thats whats rquired for dodgy knee. theonsultant just lauaghed.

seen as how iv've just come back from yer genuine ozzy bbq, ive lost the plot.

hello everyone! hic

Joe

Über Member
Great thread! Another radiographer checking in. Well, 1st year student radiographer at least;)

An exciting time to be a student!

When I were a lad - we didn't have MRI, and CT was limited to small scanners for heads!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Damn your eyes if I haven't arrived on this thread late. I did a PhD on PET in the mid '90s, so if anyone wants to know about Orlov's condition or 3D Fourier-based image reconstruction, just ask! Or I could just start an MRI/PET pissing contest with maggers.

asterix

Comrade Member
zimzum42 said:
I quite enjoyed the MRIs I've had. It really is like some kind of minimalist techno music when you're in there. However, I've never managed to stay awake until the end, I always get woken up as I get slid out of the machine....

That's very similar to my experiences - I've had 2 scans both at Hull Royal nae bother - I was reminded vaguely of that noise whales are supposed to make and Jean Michel Jarre. I'd also say I was fairly claustrophobic as the very idea of e.g. potholing gives me the heebie-jeebies.:smile:

Bollo, don't mind me just get on with it.

Top Bottom