Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
A bit of reverse fettling when I got home this afternoon - I took apart a solar powered shed light that stopped working some time ago to see whether it took a rechargable battery such as an AA or AAA that could be replaced. This is what I found, never seen one of these before.
View attachment 725513

Could be 3 AA or AAAs wrapped up in that which are generally c. 1.2v each as a rechargeable.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
This page has got to be my favourite 5 digit bimary number 😊

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Bright sunny morning but still that cold northerly wind.
Recycling bins will not be emptied before Friday at the earliest as there is currently only one working lorry. Those living out in more rural areas have to take their bins in as touroid are filling them up with non recyclables.
Even in parts of the town this happens and after the domestic bins have been emptied they have to be taken in promptly as they get filled up very quickly by tourists.
No word on ferries apart from complaints about the on line booking system. One farmer has already booked for sheep sales next September. Such is life here now.
The small ferry is doing a shuttle service again but not checked to see if the main ferry is back on service yet.
Today I think I will go for a walk after I have been up to the dump. Need to fill the car tank with diesel as well.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from Suffolk where it's a bright and dry start to the day so a load of washing has been started in the hope of getting it line dried later. The first coffee of the day has just been finished with breakfast to follow shortly.
Today's excitement will be trying to decide whether to change the bedding today or tomorrow and then rummaging the freezer to find out what can be had for tea.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yesterday and today has been mostly spent reading draft reports from students who are re-sitting. To do that I also access their original submission as a few haven't read their original feedback - in those cases I simply copy/paste it and send that, also letting them know that I know and where they can find it in the future.

A small number have sent totally different pieces, with no editing time and different author. For those, well, they get feedback and a statement which starts "I'm surprised/astonished you've completely changed your work, with a different style/structure/sources as your first submission".

Then I flag it for later investigation for ghost writing. There's only a few, but I'll be busy in a couple of weeks time with those sadly.

Last edited:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Can't help thinking seeing a clip of The Francis Scott Key Bridge it's clear given the sort of contraction it is. This was an accident waiting to happen.

I hope all the people in the water can be rescued.

I think the BBC must have a special department for "Asking Stupid Questions". They needed a expert to explain why the bridge collapsed, and how the local traffic is affected.

tom73

Guru
I hope all the people in the water can be rescued.

I think the BBC must have a special department for "Asking Stupid Questions". They needed a expert to explain why the bridge collapsed, and how the local traffic is affected.

Rescue will be difficult given the number of variables and the location. It's going to be very time critical you won't last long in water that cold. Though it is possible to survive even once serious hypothermia has set in. If found and treated quickly. Reports say about 20 are missing.

Top Bottom