My brake cable was frozen today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Happened regularly on my step through hybrid due to the back brake cable being routed down the sloping top tube and then back up to the brake. Keeping the bike in the house didn't make any difference. If it was cold enough it froze at five miles which meant ten miles with the brake jammed on or trying to forcibly disconnect the back brake.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A common issue with the front brake on the Brompton - it enters the brake from the underside, and has a loop of outered cable in which water can sit.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I have the same issue with the rear BB7 on my Pinnacle. Due to the design, water will run down the inner and freeze as I discovered this morning.
That's a problem with mounting the rear brake on the chainstay, rather than BB7 specifically.
If it's on the seatstay, with the cable running down the seatstay, there's no problem. Makes fitting a rear rack & mudguards more difficult though.

Judosteffer

Wow. Same problem here in both my wife's TRP HY/RD brakes and my TRP Spyres. Like you all say, the exit for the cables points upwards. Totally seized up. Really need to sort it out as we rely on these bikes to commute on, and bought them thinking brakes discs and TRP brakes were meant to be the best out there. Reading through various forums this week, loads of people have had this issue.https://www.instagram.com/p/BNfLDKTjggX/

Top Bottom