My rebuilt Viking Giro D'Italia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
Last september i lost my job.Really wanted my first roadbike but could only scrape together £200 to buy one.I really wanted a modern bike so went for the Viking,purely because i liked its looks.
The bike arrived with the rear wheel out of true,a gash in the seat where it had been forced into the rear spokes for packing up and damaged cable.The shop were great and delivered me a new seat and also £15 to get the wheel trued.
Anyway turned out it was crap buti still loved the look.So decided i would rebuild with better components throughout the winter whilst still using the bike.Now some of you will no doubt say i would have been better saving up for a better quality bike and yep maybe you'd be right but the end result is a bike i absolutely love.Its fast,responsive and a kg lighter.
Its gone from handlebar mounted 7 speed to 105 sti 10 speed double,105 5700 front mech rear mech and spd sl pedals,itm bars,fizik tape,tektro brakes,sram cassette and chain,deda zero seat post and handlebar stem,anodized spacers and cap and seat clamp,super leggerra seat,all new cables,Pro lite como wheels,Zaffiro vitoria tyres.Altogether the rebuild has cost over £400 and i just need a 105 5700 crankset and its fully finished,so total cost of bike,including the savings from selling some of the original parts is going to be £600 ish.
Anyway not to everyones taste no doubt ut heres some pics,would be great to hear your views.
DSC_0165_2.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

Cheers for looking.

Basil.B

Guru
My eyes! My eyes!
Bit bright for my tastes, but congratulations on what you have done.
At least it stands out!
Enjoy riding it, thats what matters. :thumbsup:

I love it! You've done what I plan to :smile:

I started road biking a month ago after being entered into the Manchester to Blackpool ride. My wife said I'd never stick to it once I've done the ride so wouldn't allow me to buy the £4000 team BMC bike I fancied at Evans. Instead she set my budget to £200. I bought the viking sprint in neon green. She did say however that I could treat myself if I was still riding this time next year. Fair enough I guess.

So this winter I plan on a covert mission of bike upgrades. First the seat..... She'll never notice that. Then the wheels, then gear shifters..... again that will go unnoticed. I'll finish off with new brakes and front and back chain set/ring. I'm pretty sure I can fit all this to my bike in one weekend and she wouldn't tell the difference. I wonder if she'll notice a carbon frame?

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Cheers for the comments,its not as day glo as it appears.......honestly :whistle:
I would defo recomend the rebuild legsrsore if yours is similar to mine,dont get me wrong, it was rideable but not enjoyable,i think your'e right the first upgrade i would do would be seat, wheels and tyres as the Viking budget wheels are not great,then go on to drivetrain as you said,at least they're nice frames though and you can build a great bike out of them bit by bit,i'm so pleased i done it the difference is amazing.

lip03

Über Member
Last september i lost my job.Really wanted my first roadbike but could only scrape together £200 to buy one.I really wanted a modern bike so went for the Viking,purely because i liked its looks.
The bike arrived with the rear wheel out of true,a gash in the seat where it had been forced into the rear spokes for packing up and damaged cable.The shop were great and delivered me a new seat and also £15 to get the wheel trued.
Anyway turned out it was crap buti still loved the look.So decided i would rebuild with better components throughout the winter whilst still using the bike.Now some of you will no doubt say i would have been better saving up for a better quality bike and yep maybe you'd be right but the end result is a bike i absolutely love.Its fast,responsive and a kg lighter.
Its gone from handlebar mounted 7 speed to 105 sti 10 speed double,105 5700 front mech rear mech and spd sl pedals,itm bars,fizik tape,tektro brakes,sram cassette and chain,deda zero seat post and handlebar stem,anodized spacers and cap and seat clamp,super leggerra seat,all new cables,Pro lite como wheels,Zaffiro vitoria tyres.Altogether the rebuild has cost over £400 and i just need a 105 5700 crankset and its fully finished,so total cost of bike,including the savings from selling some of the original parts is going to be £600 ish.
Anyway not to everyones taste no doubt ut heres some pics,would be great to hear your views.
DSC_0165_2.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

Cheers for looking.

also chris where in bedford are you?? i am in ampthill so only ten miles or so away!

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
also chris where in bedford are you?? i am in ampthill so only ten miles or so away!
I'm in Cople mate,small place near Willington:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I think it looks cool and I am all for having something a little different to everyone else!
Cheers mate,it started off with just a couple of red parts to pick up on the red writing but then i just carried on finding other parts i needed to replace were available in red^_^
I like it apart from the XTR cover.
Thats been on there from when i first brought the bike,its job is purely functional as after a couple of weeks of having the bike the chainstay had been marked by the chain.
Cheers for all the comments though,much appreciated :thumbsup:

diddle

Nice bike. Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think it looks great. If you do then that's all that matters. Congratulations.

wisdom

Guru
Nice job and upgrades.
Its got everything you wanted on it so in theory its custom built to your spec
Its a fair bet that you enjoyed doing the work too which is a bonus.Well done nice looking bike just enjoy it

Top Bottom