My rebuilt Viking Giro D'Italia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Hi Daz,i no longer have the bike unfortunatly but i think all in including the cost of the bike new it was somewhere between £500-£600 ish,i brought myself a new 57cm Bianchi and it was only after riding that i realised that at 59cm the Viking was too big for me so now only have my Bianchi.

Hi Chris,

I see you no longer have the bike but i was wanting to ask a question about the brakes - I`ve just picked up a second-hand Giro and whilst the brake pads look fine (ie they aren`t worn down) the whole braking experience leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. Can I just replace the pads with better ones or do you think the braking set-up on the Viking is a bit below par.

I actually found a Trek MTB in the woods earlier in the week (see my other thread "What to do.."), it has Tektro brakes and very decent pads altho the cables look knackered - is there anything to stop me from putting this braking set-up onto the Viking?

CycleDazza

Hi again DaveK,
How much did you sell this re-vamped Viking after all this?? I have now been given a Viking San Marino.. It is better than orginal I bought (Sprint). It cost me nothing..so I think I use it for a bit for see if it a starter for road Cycling..but if not I just dump it go get a proper bike. I am on a Budget..so can you suggest a good starter bikes..
I have looked at Carrea Zelos ones..they seem good Value for money!??

daz

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Hi Chris,

I see you no longer have the bike but i was wanting to ask a question about the brakes - I`ve just picked up a second-hand Giro and whilst the brake pads look fine (ie they aren`t worn down) the whole braking experience leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. Can I just replace the pads with better ones or do you think the braking set-up on the Viking is a bit below par.

I actually found a Trek MTB in the woods earlier in the week (see my other thread "What to do.."), it has Tektro brakes and very decent pads altho the cables look knackered - is there anything to stop me from putting this braking set-up onto the Viking?
Hi mate,sorry for the late reply,been extremely busy,did you get your braking issues sorted?

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Wat size of seat post did u buy and also wat did u buy to convert to flight deck shifters
In all honesty mate I cant remember the seat post size,it might've been a 27.2 but wouldn't want to say for certain, as for the shifters I just used the shifters along with new cables and mech's, all bolted on with no issues.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Hello mate did you change the calipers on it
Hi mate, yep I changed the calipers almost immediately as that's where the poor braking performance lays, if you are looking at doing the same i'd recommend using dual pivot calipers. Tektro are cheap enough and do the job perfectly, just make sure you get the right size drop ( measure from the securing bolt to the pad holder) HTH .

Top Bottom