n+1..... Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
N+1, the only question to answer is why not?

KneesUp

Guru
I can just about make the case for three bikes, at a pinch.

One MTB, for rough stuff, if you like that sort of thing, one road bike, for smooth roads, if you like that sort of thing, and one commuter/tourer/hybrid kind of thing for commuting on rubbish roads, or rides that are a mix of roads and trails - if you like that sort of thing.

If your bike does all you ask of it, n+1 is an idea that marketing people love, and I'm always surprised that people fall for it. Buy a bike with a nice frame and ride it. If things wear out, replace them. All the rest is just spending for the sake of it, which is fine if that's what you like.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
What KneesUp said!

I have three - the MTB which I got first, the road bike which was second and then the old steel racer which I converted to a fixie. I have a choice of bikes depending on my mood and what kind of ride I want to have. Fixie is great for pootling, sans helmet and in casual wear. Roadie is my main ride for commuting as it's light, fast and responsive. The MTB is used for rougher rides, heavy carrying and as a standby if the roadie is out of action.

Mind you, if I was still married I'd probably be working on the N+0 formula for the ideal number of bikes.... :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've 3+ as I agreed a limit of 3 with SWMBO:

Secteur; best bike (all I can afford) and used for racing
Tricross; winter commuting / cross bike
Whyte 805; MTB on C2W scheme

However, there's also:

Raleigh Team; bad weather commuter
Raleigh Airlite 100 having it's components transferred onto a Ridgeback Platinum frame; to become the daily commuter
Raleigh SP150; MTB build so I can learn how to build a bike.

So 3 has turned into 6 :thumbsup:

I've sold 2 bikes in the past month (both for 200%+ profit) and dismantled 1 so she can't be too annoyed :whistle:

KneesUp

Guru

So 3 has turned into 6 :thumbsup:

Last summer: number of bikes in our household = 0
Current number of bikes in our household = 6

So maybe I'm not the best person to ask :smile:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Winter bike/Commuter/Tourer. Alloy, mudguards, rack, cheap(er) components that can be replaced when the salt eats them.
Summer/Best Bike. Carbon, skinny tyres, no rack, no guards, higher spec stuff. Light, fast, fun.
Hardtail MTB. Off road hooliganism, trail centres, round the park with the kids.
Fixed/Pub bike. Old steel frame. simple, easy to maintain, absolute bas**rd on the hills round here.

That just leaves for N+1:
Full Sus MTB - If I ever get brave/stupid enough to want to throw myself down a mountain in body armour.
Recumbent - Just cos they're different.
Folder... Hmmmm struggling for a reason here, give me a bit I'm sure one will occur to me eventually.

My Problem is Mrs Kes and the Kids are on the same page.... need a bigger shed (and a better paid job).

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Must admit I have used the old N+1 too often & now have 3 bikes that I very rarely ride which does seem a shame, but cant stop looking at other bikes & thinking I'd like that :blush:
My current equation seems to be N-3+1 :whistle: I'm hoping to sell the 3 bikes I dont ride & replace with another. My 2 main bikes which I now ride are my Spesh Allez Elite which is prob about 7 or 8 years old now & still love it, & my tourer which I've fit a dynamo hub, so is used for commuting in dark weather & touring (funnily enough)
I find my self drawn to carbon frames at the moment, but not sure how much I need/want one whilst I have my Spesh, but recently stumbled across the Genesis Day One Alfine 8, which has caught my attention, hub gear & disc brakes, something a bit different :smile:

vorsprung

Veteran
N+1 because

1) bikes are pretty. You need various colours etc
2) bikes have different functions: pub bike, off road bike, time trial bike, audax bike, touring bike, commute bike, shopping bike, stunt bike.. the list is endless
3) if you see a bargain then it might be good to get it, try it. You can always sell it later
4) even if you have the bike for a particular function it's good to have a spare
5) frame materials come in lots of flavours, scandium, aluminium, carbon, carbon 3k weave, titanium, bamboo. Everyone says their material is best. So there's only one way to find out for sure
6) all the above applies to diamond frame bikes. But then there are other configurations: recumbents and dursley pedersen
7) if you are lacking motivation to get out and ride there is nothing like a new shiney bike to get you gagging for it again
8) you probably need a deliberately crap bike to use when locking up outside a particularly robbery prone pub
9) it's not uncommon to have people give you a spare bike
10) sometimes when you are visiting the recycling / council tip with a load of rubble someone will be about to throw an 80s peugeot MTB in the skip. It's rude not to offer to rehome it

Top Bottom