NCN 7 Annan to Gretna

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Is anyone familiar with the stretch of NCN 7 between Annan and Gretna? It looks fairly quiet. And all on tarmac?

Any idea why it diverts south off the B721 west of Dornock? Is it just to enjoy the scenery?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Is anyone familiar with the stretch of NCN 7 between Annan and Gretna? It looks fairly quiet. And all on tarmac?

Any idea why it diverts south off the B721 west of Dornock? Is it just to enjoy the scenery?

I saw the thread title and wondered what possible relationship there could be between Kofi Annan and Greta Thunberg. Must be due a visit to the optician 🤔

Brandane

Legendary Member

I have done this route a few times, according to Garmin Connect the last time was August 2022, on a 3 day cycle from home (North Ayrshire) to Carlisle. Garmin link.
Sadly I am unable to explain why it diverts south off the B721, I can't recall that particular section in any detail and I was most likely blindly following the NCN signage (which is not always a good idea as I'm sure you will know). The whole area around the Solway coast is one of my favourite areas for cycling. Loads of minor back roads with very little traffic; scenic; and not a lot of climbing (a bonus IMHO!). The B721 was, IIRC, quiet and well surfaced, so I would think if you preferred to ignore the southerly detour you would be fine. Unless there is some unknown (to me) hazard lurking on that particular stretch, but my money is on the quirky (sometimes annoying and unnecessary) route planning by Sustrans.

Edit to add.... Had a wee look on Google maps. At the point where NCN diverts south coming away from Annan, the speed limit on the B721 changes to the national speed limit and the verge/footpath ends. So a bit cautious by Sustrans to route south, or keeping it more family friendly. Your call, depending on how you feel about sharing your space on narrow roads with fast moving traffic.... Personally if I am on "tour mode" I don't mind diversions like that (within reason), and in that particular case would prefer to go with the NCN routing.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Agree with Brandane's edit above. Confess I planned to ride the NCN but got to Dornock (the first time ;)) and continued on the B road (as opposed to narrow yellow with unknown surface). Sustrans/NCN algorithm; gives you a view of the firth.

iandg

Legendary Member
I use the NCN7 regularly (bike and car) but haven't used that stretch since last summer. The road can be busy at times with speeding traffic and some of it is poorly surfaced with some big potholes. I usually ride the B road but have followed the NCN route exactly on occasions. They are nice quiet lanes.

I live on the B724 about 7 miles west of Annan close to the route. NCN 7 has been declassified where it follows the B724 and on the B725 between Brow Well and Bank End. NCN signs have been removed or blanked out. Can't remember the wording on the new signs but Sustrans now consider those sections of road as being too busy. I use both roads regularly and sometimes don't see other traffic.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/about-u...sification-of-the-national-cycle-network-faqs

Last edited:

albion

Guru
Being cynical I would say it is one of the Sustran team having fun sending you through a mudfest
From experience both Google maps and Sustrans seem to think alike. Yet Sustrans does prefer the hills more.

Still, you always have to do it to actually know.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@annedonnelly didn't you join us at Carlisle (quite a few years ago now) to ride on to the Lakes?
Fiona and I rode from Glasgow on route 7.
I'm pretty sure we did Annan/Gretna both ways, via the back roads.
They were fine, mostly flat.
I remember we needed to watch out for the wood transport lorries, they can be quite long, but we didn't see many.
After Gretna, towards Carlisle, it was the tractors.
Quite scenic route, but I guess it depends on the time of year.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Yes @Pat "5mph" I remember you'd ridden from Glasgow that week. Some of us were lazy and got the train :laugh:

Yes it looks pleasantly flat on that stretch probably cos it follows the Solway firth. I certainly don't fancy the logging lorries but I don't think they use that stretch.

iandg

Legendary Member
Sustrans like to route you to lanes or cycle paths if available, some of these are good some not so good. I've provided a link above about reclassification of parts of the NCN. Cycled back from Dumfries yesterday, this is the sign at Bankend heading east towards Ruthwell. I saw 12 cars in the 4 mile stretch

IMG_20240303_122550_481.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think (don't quote me on this!) that a lot of the Scottish declassifications were driven more by motor vehicle speeds than volumes. It's not that there's a lot of cars, it's that the ones that there are tend to be going at 60mph.
I did notice this when on tour up North (of Scotland).
The roads did not have a lot of traffic like here in Glasgow, but they were going faster than I am used to.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

I can see why Sustrans might choose to declassify stretches of their routes but it's a bit of a problem if you're not aware of it in advance and you suddenly come across one of those signs. If you're not local you might struggle to find an alternative route. I'm sure there are many people who don't check the online maps before following NCN route signs.

toffee

Guru
Sustrans like to route you to lanes or cycle paths if available, some of these are good some not so good. I've provided a link above about reclassification of parts of the NCN. Cycled back from Dumfries yesterday, this is the sign at Bankend heading east towards Ruthwell. I saw 12 cars in the 4 mile stretch

View attachment 723435

That is just stupid.

Bit like urban cycle routes which just dump you back on the road when the pathbruns out.

Ajax Bay

Guru
To be fair @toffee , sometimes there's no route (if a B road say is deemed to carry traffic of density or speed outside Sustrans parameters). So do you bin the perfectly good NCN for the many miles before and after the gap? Edit: What would be your recommended 'Mr Sensible' solution?
Using the NCN7 as an example and @iandg 's example above on the B725
1709665500655.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom