Need a new bike.. heavy lad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As the title says im looking for a bike to start me off on my road to skinnyness!! Lol
Long story short, Wedding next year, need to lose weight, enjoy cycling, hate gyms....

I have a muddyfox freefall at the moment whch is far from ideal for road riding.

I need a bike (max £250 for now) that will be easy to ride for a 17 stone bloke.
Guessing 2nd hand ebay is the way to go but i dont have a clue which brands etc to be looking at..

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers.
Dan.
Yep, as others say, decathlon...triban. Very good value.

I am 17stonne and have ridden tens of thousands of miles on my aluminium framed carbon forked road bike (she even has flimsy carbon wheels that melt in the rain)

The weight isn't an issue. A triban will carry you well.

livpoksoc

Guru
I hover between 18-19st and am perfectly comfortable on drop bars. As all other posters have said, Decathlon is a great place for budget. If you have Cycle2Work scheme you ca even get at a discount to get something better and in budget. (Effectively a 12 month finance plan via your salary but as it takes out from your gross prior to tax, you get a discount from the ticket price).

Hybrids are more comfortable but it depends on how many miles you want to be doing.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im 16 stone with a Triban, though I have hand made wheels with more spokes to deal with bad roads and carry extra weight in panniers and trunk bags for commuting & long rides.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
OP
OP
AckaDappa

AckaDappa

Thanks for all the replies.
Im 5'10" ish. Recently started a job driving coaches so now getting no exercise at work.
Flat/hybrid or dropped im not fussed as long as its comfy. Ill enquire about the cycle2work scheme.

I only live a mile from work so wouldnt bother using the bike so it would just be for pleasure riding and fitness.

Ill take a look at the bikes mentioned. Like the look of the Triban.

Also any good recommendations for apps or computers for keeping tabs on distances etc?

Thanks again.
Dan.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Cateye computers are pretty decent but having upgraded from a Cateye velo wireless to a garmin edge 200 and then again to an edge 520, a lower end garmin edge would be better.

Garmin Edge will be more accurate with speed and distance as they use GPS to calculate your speed/distance. I was going to say you could have my edge 200 but i've just remember that i already sold it to another member on these forums.

Id look for a pre-owned Edge 200 or Edge 20 on ebay or on these forums, they go for £40-50 compared to the £85 RRP. Edge 20 is newer with better GPS tech to get better more accurate readings, Edge 200 is older but still a good unit. you might prefer the display of the 200 compared to the 20 so just have a little google of both units and decide which ones more for you.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can also use an app like strava on your smart phone, no need for a dedicated gadget at least initially

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks for all the replies.
Im 5'10" ish. Recently started a job driving coaches so now getting no exercise at work.
Flat/hybrid or dropped im not fussed as long as its comfy. Ill enquire about the cycle2work scheme.

I only live a mile from work so wouldnt bother using the bike so it would just be for pleasure riding and fitness.

Ill take a look at the bikes mentioned. Like the look of the Triban.

Also any good recommendations for apps or computers for keeping tabs on distances etc?

Thanks again.
Dan.
you won't need to use the bike everyday for commuting...just so long as you do use it on the odd occasion should be enough to satisfy the scheme's app forms

livpoksoc

Guru
Cateye computers are pretty decent but having upgraded from a Cateye velo wireless to a garmin edge 200 and then again to an edge 520, a lower end garmin edge would be better.

Garmin Edge will be more accurate with speed and distance as they use GPS to calculate your speed/distance. I was going to say you could have my edge 200 but i've just remember that i already sold it to another member on these forums.

Id look for a pre-owned Edge 200 or Edge 20 on ebay or on these forums, they go for £40-50 compared to the £85 RRP. Edge 20 is newer with better GPS tech to get better more accurate readings, Edge 200 is older but still a good unit. you might prefer the display of the 200 compared to the 20 so just have a little google of both units and decide which ones more for you.
Not the edge 20 doesn't have an altimeter (i.e. Elevation climbed), i have a 200 and it is more than enough. You can even get clever with some free mapping tools and create a route for the 200 and it follows a breadcrumb line on scree.

I was watching them on ebay and one went for £59.99 plus p&p but that would be top end.

Top Bottom