Need advice, RoadSafe, close pass, WARNING: contains video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Normally my commute is quite nice, but tonight I was passed closer than normal and thought the driver rather rude.

Stronger positioning may have helped... or not.

Anyway, those who have used RoadSafe, is this worth sending?
I am not sure and don't want to be wasting peoples time.

This was in Ilford (Fencepiece Road).

You can't miss the big blue van, you'll see and hear him when he comes.
I saw no point in shouting at him, but I am concerned if he does this around someone less 'confident' in traffic.

Your thoughts.

classic33

Leg End Member
Straighten the camera up.
Looks as though it moved away as it drew alongside.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Sorry but i think thats one where perhaps you or rather we needed to be there. I can hear him behind you and he obviously cannot pass you due to oncoming traffic and when he does pass he does it slowly. Possibly a little close but didn't seem more than that to me.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You can hear he'd held back through the traffic island, didn't look bad to me- it all comes down to our own subjective expectation which will all be different. I'd certainly have moved out of primary sooner after the island to give him time to build up his speed to get past earlier.

Mr McHenry

As you say the van may have passed 'closer than normal' in your view, but it didn't look to me like a dangerous overtake. Possibly not his best judgement as the road was narrowing and there was oncoming traffic, - the driver should have shown more restraint and waited. You could hear him in a lower gear getting ready, as he'd not been able to pass due to traffic islands, oncoming cars and a junction on the left.

As for naming and shaming via Roadsafe, I think this is taking things a bit far. I didn't see or hear any rude or anti-social behaviour. True, he didn't say 'Good Morning' and give you a cheery wave, but that's a sign of the times unfortunately..

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I recently got a camera, I know, I know..." And the fact that you use it to record your commute, but unless there is a clear case of dangerous and aggressive driving, posting this kind of footage is a waste of resources and will only worsen relationships between motorists and cyclists who have to be respectful of each other and share the busy roadspace.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Thank you @Mr McHenry
This is why I posted on here rather than reporting straight to roadsafe, a different perspective other than your own is always a good thing.

Normally I don't have issues on my commute, but while I was off work and I was out riding I had a 4x4 driver (Keltbray sticker on back window) decide to veer in on me while I was riding outside the door zone past parked cars, it was not a mistake from that driver, it was deliberate, no question. However, with no video I see such things going no where with such misguided people.

As you say the van may have passed 'closer than normal' in your view, but it didn't look to me like a dangerous overtake. Possibly not his best judgement as the road was narrowing and there was oncoming traffic, - the driver should have shown more restraint and waited. You could hear him in a lower gear getting ready, as he'd not been able to pass due to traffic islands, oncoming cars and a junction on the left.

As for naming and shaming via Roadsafe, I think this is taking things a bit far. I didn't see or hear any rude or anti-social behaviour. True, he didn't say 'Good Morning' and give you a cheery wave, but that's a sign of the times unfortunately..

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I recently got a camera, I know, I know..." And the fact that you use it to record your commute, but unless there is a clear case of dangerous and aggressive driving, posting this kind of footage is a waste of resources and will only worsen relationships between motorists and cyclists who have to be respectful of each other and share the busy roadspace.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
IT may just be .a can't sleep comment on my part but you sèem fo be in the primary going slow for a long g time!

Yes, I can be quite slow up the hill to the traffic islands, plus there are the parked cars, so I try to cycle outside the door zone and take a strong secondary coming up to the traffic islands, so that cars can still get through (several went past me fine) but at the same time to try and put larger vehicles off passing me there.

After the traffic islands the road is a bit deceiving as it appears wide but very quickly narrows, and if you don't maintain a strong secondary position drivers will squeeze you where the bollards are just before said junction, even with the oncoming traffic (33 seconds onwards).

The SLOW paint/road markings are there because of the junction and the way the road narrows (33 seconds onwards).

However while I will admit I can be quite slow up the hill and this takes it out of me a little, and this can then make some people impatient, most of the time people are patient enough and give me room, but you tend to remember the one bad apple...

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
You can hear he'd held back through the traffic island, didn't look bad to me- it all comes down to our own subjective expectation which will all be different. I'd certainly have moved out of primary sooner after the island to give him time to build up his speed to get past earlier.

He didn't hold back through the traffic islands, he tried to push his way through and he was close enough for me to touch his van.
Of course I see no point in hitting vehicles as people like this don't care about your safety all they care about is the vehicle, and I want to get home, not in a fight.

After the traffic islands the road is a bit deceiving as it appears wide but very quickly narrows, and if you don't maintain a strong secondary position drivers will squeeze you where the bollards are just before said junction, even with the oncoming traffic (33 seconds onwards).

The SLOW paint/road markings are there because of the junction and the way the road narrows (33 seconds onwards).

SNIP
However while I will admit I can be quite slow up the hill and this takes it out of me a little, and this can then make some people impatient, most of the time people are patient enough and give me room, but you tend to remember the one bad apple...
Exactly. Its not fair but you can get away more (if thats the right term) with taking a stronger position when you are going fast (relative to the driver). If I don't feel like going at speed or are unable, especially going uphill, I tend to observe and give and take more but I don't know the specifics of the route.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Sorry but i think thats one where perhaps you or rather we needed to be there. I can hear him behind you and he obviously cannot pass you due to oncoming traffic and when he does pass he does it slowly. Possibly a little close but didn't seem more than that to me.

Yes, he does pass me quite slowly, but this is quite a large vehicle and he was close enough for me to touch his van, a slight mistake from him or me and this could have ended quite differently, not death, no, but injuries I would rather avoid if I can.

Top Bottom