Need advice, RoadSafe, close pass, WARNING: contains video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'd rate that overtake as within 1-2 feet, and thus much too close. I have no problem Roadsafing this sort of driving. It's the power of one - if you do nothing, he won't learn from his mistake. If you do, he probably will, and he'll realise the power and effectiveness of YouTube shaming, registration number in google, and that cyclists and the police do pay attention to his driving.

If ten thousand of us do this, day in day out, drivers' behaviour will improve considerably.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I'd rate that overtake as within 1-2 feet, and thus much too close. I have no problem Roadsafing this sort of driving. It's the power of one - if you do nothing, he won't learn from his mistake. If you do, he probably will, and he'll realise the power and effectiveness of YouTube shaming, registration number in google, and that cyclists and the police do pay attention to his driving.

If ten thousand of us do this, day in day out, drivers' behaviour will improve considerably.

I think if he does it again then I shall have no issue with doing so (from where he turned off only a little further up the road he may well be a local).

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is

Drivers behaviour won't improve without visible enforcement out on the road, improved driving tests and regular re-testing (every 10yrs say).

Reporting to schemes like RoadSafe is a step in the right direction but will only in my opinion make a small dent.

However the videos I see on youtube I see as a chance to educate myself (BentMikey and CycleGaz being two prominent ones) and the minority of drivers who act poorly probably don't really care that much about them (sorry, just my opinion).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This is my little niggle "Within touching distance is the norm", its the idea of the norm, and that most of the time this is purely down to ignorance.
I can only see that being tackled at a national level through additional education when people learn to drive.
I could not agree with you more. This doesn't seem to get taught any more.

dg_070531_thumb.jpg

But the trouble with Rule 163 is the average driver, I'm an average driver, overtakes other cars within touching distance. Rarely has any other choice given the width of a car. Ditto when passing oncoming traffic or parked cars. I'd much rather Rule 163 said Give vulnerable road users at least a one metre gap when passing. A yard's not hard.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I could not agree with you more. This doesn't seem to get taught any more.

dg_070531_thumb.jpg

But the trouble with Rule 163 is the average driver, I'm an average driver, overtakes other cars within touching distance. Rarely has any other choice given the width of a car. Ditto when passing oncoming traffic or parked cars. I'd much rather Rule 163 said Give vulnerable road users at least a one metre gap when passing. A yard's not hard.

I used to drive, but since living in London and on the Central Line (London Underground line) I have found that the bike gets me about great for the commute and at the weekend. The train (or even bus) gets me to places when I don't want to cycle, Londoners have it so good with public transport (I used to live in Suffolk on a farm outside a small village in the middle of nowhere, a car is almost mandatory to get about, as buses were almost non-existent).

Wording is not so great, but the picture says it all.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
I wonder how many accidents are caused by cars passing too close to each other,you can't get away with that squeezing in bawlocks all the time.Many years ago I was in a car of which my dad reported that his wing mirror had been whacked by a car from the opposite direction,scarey stuff.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I wonder how many accidents are caused by cars passing too close to each other,you can't get away with that squeezing in bawlocks all the time.Many years ago I was in a car of which my dad reported that his wing mirror had been whacked by a car from the opposite direction,scarey stuff.

I have been hit by a wing mirror while on the bike, thankfully it was in slow moving traffic and I had positioned myself away from the railings and I stayed upright.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/previ...87!3d51.5286416!3m2!1i1920!2i965!4f13.1&fid=5

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2587986, member: 1314"]I’ve started using loads of thumbs ups to motorised traffic I know I’m holding up behind me on narrow London roads, if I don’t think it’s safe for them to overtake me. Seems to work. On my commute, for example, there’s a mile long stretch from Wimbledon Station to Haydon’s Road where I may sit in primary all the way. I think if drivers feel they are being acknowledged they’ll be patient. On that route I’ll do between 17-20mph so not slow. Not fast but not slow.

I think the blue van was too close, but slow. I’d shrug this one off. [/quote]
So have I. Completely independent of you. But you know what? In rural Sussex it doesn't make a jot of difference to/with the numpties. I get waves, and hazards "thanks" for the good "guys" but the nobbers just drive like nobbers all the same.

The only thing that works with the nobbers is to ride in the gutter out of their oh-so-important way. And that I simply cannot do.

Top Bottom