Need advice, RoadSafe, close pass, WARNING: contains video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Exactly. Its not fair but you can get away more (if thats the right term) with taking a stronger position when you are going fast (relative to the driver). If I don't feel like going at speed or are unable, especially going uphill, I tend to observe and give and take more but I don't know the specifics of the route.

I do take your advice onboard, don't get me wrong, but, question, why should speed of the cyclist play a part here?

Yes, we live in an imperfect world, and we know the sight of a cyclist and sometimes the speed of one can make some people impatient, but I am going uphill, past parked cars, and I don't want to invite people to get too close to me through the traffic islands, or at the junction on the left where the road narrows.

I have in the past moved over sooner, but that has led to some to take too much advantage of the gap, especially where the road narrows, pushing me too close to the kerb, so I have had to adjust how I ride through there (traffic islands, narrowing road straight after and oncoming traffic).

Saying this I have tried other roads, but this is still my prefered route and I will not be changing it because of a minority of less considerate drivers.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Yes, he does pass me quite slowly, but this is quite a large vehicle and he was close enough for me to touch his van, a slight mistake from him or me and this could have ended quite differently, not death, no, but injuries I would rather avoid if I can.

Again i say its one of those moments you need to be there and that is most definitely no criticism of you as what one may think is bad another may not. From what i can see my impression is that he was aware of you and thats why he went slowly round you but he is also conscious of the road width too and perhaps felt that he was giving you enough room. Not all van drivers are road hogs or out to get cyclists and not saying you believe that either. You have had a bad experience before and that has made you very wary as it would anyone.

In London this driver would actually be considered a gem and to be fair we can touch a lot of vehicles that pass us as cyclists its just how they pass us thats the issue.

Safe and happy cycling in the future:smile:

I do take your advice onboard, don't get me wrong, but, question, why should speed of the cyclist play a part here?

Yes, we live in an imperfect world, and we know the sight of a cyclist and sometimes the speed of one can make some people impatient, but I am going uphill, past parked cars, and I don't want to invite people to get too close to me through the traffic islands, or at the junction on the left where the road narrows.

I have in the past moved over sooner, but that has led to some to take too much advantage of the gap, especially where the road narrows, pushing me too close to the kerb, so I have had to adjust how I ride through there (traffic islands, narrowing road straight after and oncoming traffic).

Saying this I have tried other roads, but this is still my prefered route and I will not be changing it because of a minority of less considerate drivers.
In an ideal world it shouldn't matter, unfortunately its not, some driver's (aka numpties) IME get more fustrated when they are held up for what they perceive is a long time! and carry out stupin manouvres. Sometimes its just better (less stressfull at least) to read the road and slot in behind such numpties at pinchpoints. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
perhaps felt that he was giving you enough room.

Safe and happy cycling in the future:smile:

A viewpoint to take into account.
Which is why I would rather post here first than go straight to roadsafe (as Gaz said on the video, posting too many little or minor things does not help, so I would rather get other viewpoints and opinions first).

Though how do I now correct this drivers misconception?

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
In an ideal world it shouldn't matter, unfortunately its not, some driver's (aka numpties) IME get more fustrated when they are held up for what they perceive is a long time! and carry out stupin manouvres. Sometimes its just better (less stressfull at least) to read the road and slot in behind such numpties at pinchpoints. Good Luck!

I do my best to consider other road users, and normally my commute is quite stress free (other than my poor attempts to get uphills as you can hear in the video).

Perhaps the driver of the Keltbray 4x4 did more damage than I thought.

Oh, well, it's all a learning experience every day.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In these parts the words SLOW on the carriageway are taken by cyclists as an indication to expect a close pass. There is always the challenge about whether or not to take primary if you are going to be going slowly. My take is I'm going to be going slower than the cars are capable of going nearly all the time and my safety trumps their convenience all of the time.

On my commute that would not be an exceptionally close pass or anything I'd get exercised about. Within touching distance is the norm for the "what are you moanin' abart I didn't 'it ya!" school of motoring.

Hill Wimp

A viewpoint to take into account.
Which is why I would rather post here first than go straight to roadsafe (as Gaz said on the video, posting too many little or minor things does not help, so I would rather get other viewpoints and opinions first).

Though how do I now correct this drivers misconception?

We cannot correct every road users, driver and cyclists, misconceptions if we think indeed they are misconceptions. I would just clock this one up to road user experience and enjoy your cycling. If however the other road user is being dangerous and careless, again subjective, then report them.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
We cannot correct every road users, driver and cyclists, misconceptions if we think indeed they are misconceptions. I would just clock this one up to road user experience and enjoy your cycling. If however the other road user is being dangerous and careless, again subjective, then report them.

Yes, the rest of the ride home was very nice, in the sun as well.

As you say it is subjective, so getting feedback from anon people on an internet forum is good, as you get a wide range of opinions.

Hill Wimp

Yes, the rest of the ride home was very nice, in the sun as well.

As you say it is subjective, so getting feedback from anon people on an internet forum is good, as you get a wide range of opinions.

You never know the driver may well have driven away thinking " i tried hard to give the cyclist enough room but perhaps it was a bit tight and i will be more aware next time". We all make mistakes.:smile:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Discussing a video like adults. Whatever next? :thumbsup:

My take is that it was a lousy pass, but if it was me I probably wouldn't report it. The good thing about taking a strong position in the lane is that it gives you space to get out of the way when someone attempts something like this.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
my safety trumps their convenience all of the time.

On my commute that would not be an exceptionally close pass or anything I'd get exercised about. Within touching distance is the norm for the "what are you moanin' abart I didn't 'it ya!" school of motoring.

This is my little niggle "Within touching distance is the norm", its the idea of the norm, and that most of the time this is purely down to ignorance.
I can only see that being tackled at a national level through additional education when people learn to drive.

Most of the time vehicles are not within touching distance like that, and I think the only reason I am hestiant over sending this is because at least when he did go past me, he did go slowly, and thankfully I had made enough room myself by my strong positioning to bail out if really needed.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
You never know the driver may well have driven away thinking " i tried hard to give the cyclist enough room but perhaps it was a bit tight and i will be more aware next time". We all make mistakes.:smile:

We all do make mistakes, and that is how we learn, and I have made plenty of my own.

I do have to say you did make me laugh :laugh: with:
" i tried hard to give the cyclist enough room but perhaps it was a bit tight and i will be more aware next time"

Perhaps I am being too cynical though :tongue:

Top Bottom