Never heard a sonic boom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I thought planes were banned from going supersonic over land except in case of emergency.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I thought planes were banned from going supersonic over land except in case of emergency.

Maybe it was an 'emergency' - The pilot was desperate for the bog!! :laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mach Loop, for low altitude flight training Almost everyday from 8 till 4ish, Monday-Friday. I go there often.

Here are 2 of my photos from there

mach_loop_2_by_alienfish-d8t4ttv.jpg

mach_loop_1_by_alienfish-d8t4ttb.jpg
Did you take those shots?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Aaah the Mach Loop.

I loved growing up in N Wales. Hours spent sitting on mountains looking down on all sorts of planes.

Jaguars, Phantoms, Tornados , Harriers.

Never saw a Lightning though . would have loved to as that was a fast fast jet

I grew up next to an airbase. Each year in the 70s and 80s they had an airshow.

We had Lightnings, Phantoms, Harriers, Buccaneers and one time a STARFIGHTER.

I lover airplanes almost as much as bikes.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Going to have to go there for a day to watch.

Not quite as impressive, but the Yanks are often up and about over East / North Yorkshire by the coast. I've got a pic somewhere of an F-15 (nowhere near as good as the @PhilDawson8270 shots :smile:) that was doing repeated runs from out at sea "attacking" something on the cliffs just south of Scarborough a couple of years ago. Low level flights over the Wolds seemed to be a near daily occurrence as well a couple of years ago (I've not been out that way for a while).

And whenever we've been up on the Northumbria coast (Beadnell, Seahouses, Bamburgh etc) the RAF Tornados were around at low level most days.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Lighnings..i worked at RAF Bimbrook in the 80's just before they were de-commissioned..
holy ear plugs Batman..lol..
i worked on a few RAFcamps doing work for Permapipe uk.. some stunning noise and close ups of great warplanes.
Conningsby was the best...
we had the harriers 10 mile away at Wittering which flew over all the time..happy memories

Cunobelin beat me to it but they were probably doing their lawn dart impersonation en route.

The Luftwaffe actually wanted the Lightning but the American pressurised them into buying the inferior F104. Lockheed were later accused of giving a $10m bribe to a German politician.

Repeating my own place off topic post....

This is one of the delights of the album, the mix of scathing political satire with some fine music

Vivian Stanshall,Arthur Brown, Hawkwind and a reminder for the Yoof of today orca period when music had a place in politics beyond a theme tune for the PBB

As a kid we lived near RAF Wyton

It was about 5 miles to an access gate on a dead end country road, and the best part was that it was the start of the runway

From about 10 onwards we would cycle up there with a packed lunch and spend the day watching aircraft

If you think the Lightning was loud, try standing 200' from a Vulcan winding up for take off

We saw Canberras, Victors, Lightnings, Vulcans

My only regret is that photography in those days was beyond our budget

I can only dream of the photo archive I would possess if a modern digital camera had been available to me then

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
There were Lightings based at out local RAF base - Finningly in South Yorkshire, now Doncaster Robin Hood Airport.

Finningley was a bomber base from the late 1950s, with Vulcans, and later a flying training school. There were never any Lightning squadrons based there, I suspect you may be thinking of Middleton St George, just up the road (now Teesside Airport).

Top Bottom