Never heard a sonic boom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you suggesting that the USAF claims were not "Bono fide"?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Because of the "noise pollution" we were granted a rebate in our rates (as they were then) and as the US changed aircraft form F5s to Phantoms we used to ask for an increased rebate

I hope you didn't tell the council that the Phantoms had been flying there for 11 years by the time the F-5s arrived. :rolleyes:

Glenn

Veteran
Used to hear the double boom everyday around 7pm in west Cornwall, right up until Concorde was retired. The CAA said it was not Concorde, but the booms stopped once the plane was retired

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
F5 s were flying at the same time as the Phantoms and U2s

Indeed they were, the F-5 aggressors arrived in 1976, the U-2s in 1982, and Phantoms flew from Alconbury from 1965 until 1987, so the 3 types shared the base for 5 years.

Hence my original point that you were doing well to get a rates reduction on the basis of the Phantoms having succeeded the F-5s. :wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
If you think the Lightning was loud, try standing 200' from a Vulcan winding up for take off

We saw Canberras, Victors, Lightnings, Vulcans

My only regret is that photography in those days was beyond our budget

I can only dream of the photo archive I would possess if a modern digital camera had been available to me then
Cherry Willingham, Lincs, dad worked at Scampton and when they did engine run ups or perhaps take offs, the window panes used to rattle. We were circa 6 miles away as the crow flies and that low doom laden rumble was somethinh to hear. Gawld only knows what it was like 200 ft away.

Top Bottom