New cycling mag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I dont have much interest in magazine reviews of bikes and kit these days as the internet whether it be forum comments or user reviews on other sites fill that role better for me. However if you want a constructive suggestion then id like to see comparision reviews based on a more scientific basis similar to what the German magazine Tour does. They'll have comparision tests of different bikes, helmets etc in wind tunnels, tyre tests on rolling roads to measure resistance, (etc) and things like that - they let the figures speak for themselves regardless of manufacturers claims. That sort of thing would interest me. Maybe only me though!

Anyway despite my preference i know alot of others like reading reviews so good luck with the new venture

I agree, those things would make the reviews much more substantial, what I "hate" about reviews are the stock phrases and meaningless jabber, often focussing on things that are not really relevant, for example focussing on a groupset when reviewing a bike, 105 is 105, concentrate on the bike itself.

Problem is, most people drive on tarmac of variable quality, not rolling roads.

When choosing bike tyres, I have little interest in where people drive! :tongue:

On a serious note though, the "problem" you identify is not actually a problem, the real problem, as highlighted by you misidentification, is that most people do not have adequate levels of knowledge and understanding in order to make sense of metrics obtained from such testing. The mass market likes a rating out of 10 and a few stock phrases which they can then repeat when they tell people about their new bike when asked the inevitable "how does it ride". Well sir, my new bike is laterally stiff but vertically compliant etc.

Got my call as well ... I'll try it for a few issues whilst they get into rythum then do what I normally do, buy the magazine that most appeals to me that month, that's why I don't subscribe to any..... Unless I'm building a U-boat in 250 weekly parts......

bpsmith

Veteran
@smutchin missed the call yesterday. Any chance they could give me a call back please?

U

User32269

In my opinion the majority of content in monthly publications are purely a form of advertising disguised as journalism. I buy them sporadically, to have something to read in works van when I stop for butty and a cuppa. There is nothing aimed at the "make do and mend" cyclist who doesn't have £4k going spare for a carbon spacecraft. I now only own a battered old hardtail and reviews of rechargable front lights starting at £150 are of limited relevance!
Obviously I have an interest in cycling, and look at the latest kit and developments, but do not need 70+ pages of being told that these things are essential. It is not only cycling that suffers from this, buy any of the hill walking mags out there and you begin to wonder how you have had so many enjoyable camping and hiking trips, these glorified sales catalogues suggest it's impossible to do so without spending £200 on a pair of breathable socks, to go on with those essential £600 boots. Yeah, ok!
My new mag is out next month, SKIPFIND...will have in depth review of 26 inch tyres that cost less than my car...

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 3338527, member: 45"]So I got a call. But no mag yet. Has anyone received theirs?[/QUOTE]

First issue is on sale 29 October, so you should receive it around then.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
In my opinion the majority of content in monthly publications are purely a form of advertising disguised as journalism. I buy them sporadically, to have something to read in works van when I stop for butty and a cuppa. There is nothing aimed at the "make do and mend" cyclist who doesn't have £4k going spare for a carbon spacecraft. I now only own a battered old hardtail and reviews of rechargable front lights starting at £150 are of limited relevance!
Obviously I have an interest in cycling, and look at the latest kit and developments, but do not need 70+ pages of being told that these things are essential. It is not only cycling that suffers from this, buy any of the hill walking mags out there and you begin to wonder how you have had so many enjoyable camping and hiking trips, these glorified sales catalogues suggest it's impossible to do so without spending £200 on a pair of breathable socks, to go on with those essential £600 boots. Yeah, ok!
My new mag is out next month, SKIPFIND...will have in depth review of 26 inch tyres that cost less than my car...

To be fair, Cyclist magazine is not like that at all. Yes, they have a few reviews of expensive bikes at the back, but the mag is all about the content and not blatant selling. Bikes, etc mag is bound to be different to that, as it's the whole concept of the mag in fairness.

Top Bottom