New cycling mag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Got my call as well ... I'll try it for a few issues whilst they get into rythum then do what I normally do, buy the magazine that most appeals to me that month, that's why I don't subscribe to any..... Unless I'm building a U-boat in 250 weekly parts......
The wars over don't think you will need a u boat.

bpsmith

Veteran
I ordered the 3 copies for £1 offer that they have me. Not worried, as it's not out until the end of the month.

Love the conspiracy theories though guys!

Peteaud

Veteran
I signed up for a free copy three weeks a go.Not recived it, yet, suspect that is because i said that I preferred to have a look at the content before ordering on direct debit.

Same here, so i doubt if i will see one for free.

No, i don't give you my bank details, didnt seem to go down well.

Hyslop

Veteran
I opted for a free copy too and indeed took a call re the £1/3 copies offer with a promise to call me back-since then,nothing,So we shall see eh?What Im hoping for are reviews of kit and the like which are of use rather than aspirational,or at least are published as we enter the relevant season rather than part or most of the way through.I read one or two of the current publications but find that more and more Im trawling through adverts or becoming terribly worried about the quality of my turbo-training!I enjoy a flick through Rouleur,Peloton,Ride in Smiths like everyone else,but I dont buy one(dont get precious,you do it too:whistle:)and I notice that of all the titles Active,Plus,Weekly and Cycling World sell out first,though what,if anything that shows Im not sure.Still,give it a go eh?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I subscribe to cyclist and the latest issue also had a 'get a free copy' offer in it so I'll take them up on it when I get round to it. I must admit the 'which is the best climbing bike' article that looks set for the first issue got my back up a little although hopefully they'll mitigate it by suggesting you buy a bike based on what you do most, rather than you need a bike for each tiny subset of riding. "I would go up that hill, but I've got my A roads with slightly too many traffic lights and roundabouts bike with me today..."

bpsmith

Veteran
I subscribe to cyclist and the latest issue also had a 'get a free copy' offer in it so I'll take them up on it when I get round to it. I must admit the 'which is the best climbing bike' article that looks set for the first issue got my back up a little although hopefully they'll mitigate it by suggesting you buy a bike based on what you do most, rather than you need a bike for each tiny subset of riding. "I would go up that hill, but I've got my A roads with slightly too many traffic lights and roundabouts bike with me today..."

I would imagine that there are folk out there that specifically approach climbing as their goal when cycling, or deliberately aiming to do time trials, etc. A mate at work always prefers to do a couple of thousand feet climbing than twice the milage on flatter roads. He would therefore love an article like that tbh.

I prefer to mix it up a bit, so would read the article, but wouldn't be looking to buy a specific bike for it, just like you. When not in the market for a bike, I would rather read articles aimed at specific tasks than read a review of every bike based on the same generic route. Would be pretty boring otherwise.

bpsmith

Veteran
If the new mag is happy to print pictures of cyclists riding without a helmet I'll give it a try. If it goes all PC and avoids doing so I won't.

That's interesting. I never stopped for a moment to notice that every mag photo might have riders always wearing helmets. Is that because I myself wear a helmet I wonder? Probably, but an interesting point. Wouldn't stop me buying a mag if none of them wore helmets mind you.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
That's interesting. I never stopped for a moment to notice that every mag photo might have riders always wearing helmets. Is that because I myself wear a helmet I wonder? Probably, but an interesting point. Wouldn't stop me buying a mag if none of them wore helmets mind you.
I believe the vast majority (well above the average) of riders in Cyclist have helmets on in the photos. To be honest the only reason I'm not saying 'absolutely all' is because I vaguely remember a ride out article where someone old wasn't (but even then I might be getting mixed up). While I don't necessarily buy the 'helmet manufacturers are pushing the image to sell more helmets' line as a general rule, with regard to magazines being largely advertising outlets I could happily believe that the companies that assist with kit do have an expectation of it being shown in all the pictures and so photos of helmet wearing are kind of mandated within them. If I ever get truly bored I might go back through my back issues and count...

Rustybucket

Veteran
Out of interest what was the number they called on? I dont answer any un-known numbers, due to the amount of calls I get from Recruitment Agengies, Call centres ect...

vickster

Legendary Member
Not all do in Cycling Active, although probably is the majority as they show "real" cyclists too, the majority probably do wear helmets (based on what I see on the roads)

Top Bottom