New Years Day 2023 Manchester ride. 24 miles cycle/towpath loop.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you fancy amazing coffee and food, Riverbank Coffee near Urmston ( off the Bridgewater canal ) is open 10-4 on Sunday

Riverbank Coffee is a good call and not far off the route. I think we can make a decision on the day depending on the weather conditions.
Weather forecast for that side of Manchester is looking pretty good now on New year's day but the option of indoor seating at the Trafford skiing centre might be welcome if the conditions do turn out damp?
Fingers crossed on the weather (it is Manchester after all :laugh: ) and looking forward to the little trip out and hoping a few more decide to join us for our Mancunian odyssey.

Weather seems to changed in our favour, should be a good ride. Riverbank is well worth the detour plus it’s a small business which I always like supporting

Have fun tomorrow. Riverbank is a fab stop off, I am sure it's someone on here son that runs it.

Hopefully I can join you in the future.
Happy to see riverbank coffee is a favoured coffee stop , @I like Skol it is indeed my lad owns it with his partner, by the way if you haven't already, try the sausage rolls :okay:

Three rings ! Made it home, absolutely brilliant ride even with the absolute grim weather first thing.
We did partake in sausage rolls and suitable beverages at Riverbank, it is a fantastic coffee stop, credit to your son @roadrash , I cannot recommend the place enough.
I have passed on the messages, Thank you, he is looking at a place in warrington to open another one, not sure exactly where yet.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Great ride today despite the grim weather just before the start (Skud got thoroughly caught in this!!!). Thankfully the weather improved massively and we only caught a couple of light showers after this.
Here's the promise of sunshine at the start.
IMG_20230101_101636040_HDR.jpg

Furbo showed up well on time with Skud arriving about 30s late!

We had to stop for Skud to re-apply his rainwear early on in the ride because he had foolishly taken the Manchester clothing off when he met us at the start :laugh:
IMG_20230101_105948460.jpg

We did have a perfect break at the Riverbank cafe, I can confirm they have the very best sausage rolls on the planet and this isn't the first time I've sampled them. Hot choc was good too but Skud went a bit hyper with the toppings!

IMG_20230101_122041437_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230101_122033069.jpg

Skud split off at the back of Trafford Park to head home leaving Furbo and me to brave the seedy sewers of Manchester alone. Thankfully we completed the ride unharmed and without falling into the canal.

I tried to get a second picture of @colly well known art peice 'Abandned on't cut' but I think it has been stolen by international art thieves?
IMG_20230101_141638704_HDR.jpg

Anyway, a good time had by the three of us and hopefully I can do something similar again next year?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
My turn for photos 😁 Even the early morning weather didn’t dampen our fun.
Good to meet Furbo ( Alan) for the first time and carry on the usual banter with Skolly ( The Ugly Steve out of us two 😁)
Riverbank Coffee definitely delivered amazing drinks and sausage rolls, it truly is the go to place on the trail.
Anyway, enjoy the photos
8EB52F83-E015-4B4D-9E8C-50D694FDCBB1.jpeg

Soggy start near Worsley on my way to the velodrome
49C45D9E-FE1B-4ED8-8618-6A85AFABC046.jpeg

En route
7AF63E01-2B3C-479D-ADAF-6C4D886A30E3.jpeg

The Mersey is really high
8F44E798-D653-4ADC-AA71-C30948C8B0F0.jpeg

We had one tree down on the trail which was entertaining for us and a lovely lady trying to juggle a dog and her bike. This tree looks like it’s next to block the path soon
DF267B6D-1504-4A9A-920C-D6C5C15F5956.jpeg

Perfect company at Riverbank Coffee
CA80E3DE-D0D0-452D-ABD9-40FD52C072CC.jpeg

Hot chocolate with all the trimmings 😁
59A75D33-1BEA-4E74-951D-C74383CEA35D.jpeg

Farewell time just past Stretford

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My turn for photos 😁 Even the early morning weather didn’t dampen our fun.
Good to meet Furbo ( Alan) for the first time and carry on the usual banter with Skolly ( The Ugly Steve out of us two 😁)
Riverbank Coffee definitely delivered amazing drinks and sausage rolls, it truly is the go to place on the trail.
Anyway, enjoy the photos
View attachment 673012
Soggy start near Worsley on my way to the velodrome
View attachment 673013
En route
View attachment 673014
The Mersey is really high
View attachment 673015
We had one tree down on the trail which was entertaining for us and a lovely lady trying to juggle a dog and her bike. This tree looks like it’s next to block the path soon
View attachment 673016
Perfect company at Riverbank Coffee
View attachment 673017
Hot chocolate with all the trimmings 😁
View attachment 673018
Farewell time just past Stretford

I'm really glad that you had such a good ride.

But looking at that first photo, I'm really glad that I was at home in the warm rather than doing it with you! :okay:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I'm really glad that you had such a good ride.

But looking at that first photo, I'm really glad that I was at home in the warm rather than doing it with you! :okay:

Thanks Colin, I must admit I did check the forum before I set off in the hope it might have cancelled 😆
So glad we committed and did it in the end, company and weather were perfect

Top Bottom