Newbie hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockhammer

Hi all, just thought i would say hello. My name is steven and i live right in between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I am in my forties and recently got back into cycling, my last bike being 20 years ago. That bike's lufe didnt end well as i was knocked of it at traffic lights by an idiot that ran a red light. That kind of put me off for a while, even though all i suffered were some scrapes and bruises.

Anyway, picked up an old Massi Trax Mtb and started cycling into work the odd day. This progressed to going off road in the mud and i have been in the middle of nowhere, soaked and caked in mud laughing and whooping with myself, to anyone that sees me i probably look daft.

I must have have been bitten by the bug as i am just back from the bike shop as i decided the old massi just isnt fast enough on the road so i have just been checking out a Giant Defy 2, the model will be out in mid october so i have quote and will do through the cycle to work scheme, cant wait to start pushing it on the road.

Am i crazy doing it at this time of year? Should i have waited until spring?

Guess time will tell, i do know that i grin widely when on a bike no matter the weather.

Been reading a lot of the posts here and already learning stuff so thanks everyone.

Ride carefully

Steven

monkeylc

Über Member
welcome :hello:

Fubar

Guru
Hi and :welcome: from Dunfermline! There is a healthy CC Ecosse group that go out for rides every now and then, keep an eye on the "Informal Rides" section if you're interested. Regards, Mark

OP
OP
clockhammer

clockhammer

Thanks for the welcome all. Do you all continue to cycle through autumn & winter? Do you change bikes?

And Fubar, yes i will keep an eye open although weekend rides for me have to be early morning affairs as the wife works and i have a 4 year old to look after. Would be great to join a ride sometime though, thanks

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
Will be moving from my road bike to my MTB when the roads become icy or threat of ice

wisdom

Guru
Hello and welcome from sunny Blackpool:sun:
Well its been sunny today but wind and rain all week.
Welcome to a wealth of knowledge and information.Ask away with your questions and i am sure you will find the answer you are looking for .

OP
OP
clockhammer

clockhammer

It was a beautiful day here as well, thought about a ride this morning but rode thursday and friday and i had a few glasses of wine last night so thought a day of recovery (and bike shopping) was more appropriate. Diet is something else i need to look at for doing the longer runs, oh no

OP
OP
clockhammer

clockhammer

Wish I could afford a trip to California! Must be great to have nice weather all the time.
Very happy today, managed a short ride but managed to push more than usual, higher average and top speed and less granny gear action so progress is being made. I am starting from a standing start really, so unfit and also smoke, must kick that habit and increase lung capacity. Only annoying thing today was the amount of flying insects I managed to digest, suppose its another source of protein!!

Top Bottom