Newbie hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I ride all year (although darn sarf its almost tropical in december...apparently:whistle:) and generally am surprised at how little it rains (he says staring at the rain on the office window!)

The cold is worse, especially as you start off and haven't warmed up. after you are warm, the cold becomes a kind of odd searing, stinging sensations which seems to somehow warm you up.

I'de choose not to ride in ice and I may fall back on my old MTB if it get really rotten out there...but haven't done that yet.

Fubar

Guru
Thanks for the welcome all. Do you all continue to cycle through autumn & winter? Do you change bikes?

And Fubar, yes i will keep an eye open although weekend rides for me have to be early morning affairs as the wife works and i have a 4 year old to look after. Would be great to join a ride sometime though, thanks

Oh, you can always post up your own early morning ride and see who is interested! Might not be me mind :whistle:, I'm a lazy lump! There are a couple of other guys on here from round your way, so keep an eye of for Cycle Chatters in Whitburn! Regards, Mark

R105

Regular
Hi all, just thought i would say hello. My name is steven and i live right in between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I am in my forties and recently got back into cycling, my last bike being 20 years ago. That bike's lufe didnt end well as i was knocked of it at traffic lights by an idiot that ran a red light. That kind of put me off for a while, even though all i suffered were some scrapes and bruises.

Anyway, picked up an old Massi Trax Mtb and started cycling into work the odd day. This progressed to going off road in the mud and i have been in the middle of nowhere, soaked and caked in mud laughing and whooping with myself, to anyone that sees me i probably look daft.

I must have have been bitten by the bug as i am just back from the bike shop as i decided the old massi just isnt fast enough on the road so i have just been checking out a Giant Defy 2, the model will be out in mid october so i have quote and will do through the cycle to work scheme, cant wait to start pushing it on the road.

Am i crazy doing it at this time of year? Should i have waited until spring?

Guess time will tell, i do know that i grin widely when on a bike no matter the weather.

Been reading a lot of the posts here and already learning stuff so thanks everyone.

Ride carefully

Steven
hi steven
welcome i will keep my eye out for you on the roads around w,l im sure you will meet a lot of other mad cyclists out there at this time of year enjoy your giant

R105

Regular
Booya, nope, little town called Whitburn.

Jonny, aye, not doing ice or gale force winds, anything else though and I'll be out

theres nice runs out your way out to caldercruix up to the black loch ,avonbridge, westfeild ,armadale and whitburn with lots of variations some cycle track some quiet roads ,if you fancy some company some day let me know im a newbie too.

OP
OP
clockhammer

clockhammer

theres nice runs out your way out to caldercruix up to the black loch ,avonbridge, westfeild ,armadale and whitburn with lots of variations some cycle track some quiet roads ,if you fancy some company some day let me know im a newbie too.

Cheers r105, where do you live?

Good commute today, bit blowy but fun, at least i missed the rain. Was using a new jacket, tights and lights and all worked well. Have to say i never thought i would ever end up in spandex but that little bit of padding, genius.

Looks like the wind will be calmer tomorrow, might get to work quicker tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is having good safe rides:smile:

R105

Regular
im bathgate m8

OP
OP
clockhammer

clockhammer

im bathgate m8
Cool, do you cycle up bathgate hills / bee craigs? I will go there once my fitness improves.

Chuffed today, got my certificate for my bike so will go and order from the shop today. Also got sent voucher for £80 of free accessories, ooo, new toys :smile:

OP
OP
clockhammer

clockhammer

sometimes do the hill up to torphicen but not been up the alps yet, heres a good run for you i did it today against a strong east wind
http://app.strava.com/rides/23189952

Looks good matey. Good news is that I may be picking my bike up tomorrow, super excited. Went for a sizing etc today and the xl frame fitted perfectly, means it's the 2012 model in red and black, nicer colours than the new model. Now I just have to get used to it after kicking about on the MTB, oh and get fit

Top Bottom