News too exciting for the 'Mundane News' thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My son spent his last day in the Army on friday after being medically discharged.( hyper mobility in his lower body ligaments) . On saturday he became the European Powelifting Congress champion in his age and class. Keeping his two world records and adding another one. So not that sick really. Will be really excited when he gets another job!
The two things seem very unlikely.... Hyper mobility and power lifting! Does he have to be very careful to avoid injury or has the later helped the former?

@summerdays One of the fixes for hypermobility is increasing muscle and another is staying away from impact sports so Powerlifting kind of helps though he has to be careful to strengthen all the muscles that could effect his hip,knees and ankles. He got discharged because of doing long runs buggered up his ankles, since the army does a lot of running he could not continue, though he did for over a year. My daughter has it as well ( all over not just lower body) and she was a national TT champion and was a development rider for a womens team. She ended up with knee problems, has taken nearly 2 years off, she only found out it was hypermobilty a week after my son did . She has been told her knee problem is caused by not enough muscle in her hip/inner thigh so she is working on that and may take up racing again next year.(I wont hold my breath as she has found boys and booze) Both diagnosis were not made for over a year after the sysmptoms appeared despite both of them seeing physios and doctors.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm a bit hypermobile myself, and have occasionally caused myself some injuries but I seem to be less so as I get older. So my knees don't bend backwards as far, and only one elbow over extends (not the one I broke), and I can't bend my fingers back as far, though I can't put my hands together and have palms to fingertips touching (the tops bend backwards naturally). And I had problems during pregnancy when your hormones make you a bit more flexible anyway.

Though strongly pregnancy helped with one injury as after my first child was born I had a gradually increasing weight to lift which did seem to work to improve a long standing wrist injury. So sort of weight lifting, :biggrin:

Large

Duty idiot
Today's been a doozy.

First, my beloved dog managed to wrest my morning espresso from my hand, getting all over her. Silly dog.
Second, I board the train to London and as sit down I create a large tear in seam of the inside leg of my trousers.
Third, on the way back home from where I am now working, I clout my head on the door frame of the taxi.
Finally, I get a message from the office saying that workmen have cut through the main power cable into the building and there is no electricity.
All that before 9.15

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
@summerdays One of the fixes for hypermobility is increasing muscle and another is staying away from impact sports so Powerlifting kind of helps though he has to be careful to strengthen all the muscles that could effect his hip,knees and ankles. He got discharged because of doing long runs buggered up his ankles, since the army does a lot of running he could not continue, though he did for over a year. My daughter has it as well ( all over not just lower body) and she was a national TT champion and was a development rider for a womens team. She ended up with knee problems, has taken nearly 2 years off, she only found out it was hypermobilty a week after my son did . She has been told her knee problem is caused by not enough muscle in her hip/inner thigh so she is working on that and may take up racing again next year.(I wont hold my breath as she has found boys and booze) Both diagnosis were not made for over a year after the sysmptoms appeared despite both of them seeing physios and doctors.
I have lower body hypermobility as well. It can be a pain to be honest, but with the right orthopaedic inner soles and wearing high ankle boots all the time (and I mean all the time) I have been able to minimise the ankle injuries and pelvis injuries I was suffering. It is just a shame how long it took for it to be diagnosed and all the injuries I had to go through as a kid first! Sadly this back injury has put me back to square one on my muscle strength so we start again! :sad:

Large

Duty idiot
Today's been a doozy.

First, my beloved dog managed to wrest my morning espresso from my hand, getting all over her. Silly dog.
Second, I board the train to London and as sit down I create a large tear in seam of the inside leg of my trousers.
Third, on the way back home from where I am now working, I clout my head on the door frame of the taxi.
Finally, I get a message from the office saying that workmen have cut through the main power cable into the building and there is no electricity.
All that before 9.15

Major signalling failure on the trains this morning. Toss of a coin to see if I press on to the office, or double back to home. I left the house at 0730, got back at 1015. At least now I don't have to risk any delays on the way home tonight.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mrs R has hypermobility as well. It was good for doing gymnastics at school but not so good in later life.
My sister informs me it will turn into arthritic joints in the future!!! She may be scaremongering.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Mrs R has hypermobility as well. It was good for doing gymnastics at school but not so good in later life.
Yep - I found that as well wrt gymnastics... also synchronised swimming and diving. I used to dive in school competitions etc. I was one of very few who could dive backwards...
Now it is just a pain in the ass...

My sister informs me it will turn into arthritic joints in the future!!! She may be scaremongering.
I hope not.... I have enough issues with out arthritis... humph. :stop:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Just heard a British Gas advert for their servicing on Classic FM.

Last time they serviced our boiler we ended up with a gas leak, gas shut off over the week end and a third engineer visiting to fix the problem the first one created.

We're about due for another service.

Hyslop

Veteran
Were you an ugly child?Are you an ugly adult?Yes,you say?Then read on.Whilst waiting in the chemist today(Powerful Potions,on your High St),my eyes wandered over the sniffles and snuffles remedies, spot creams,pile ointments and the like.And lo and behold, there by the till was a display of "Beauty Candy".I blinked and it was still there.Amazing! If you are a bit of a Plug,this is the stuff for you.Now,at this point I should say that I know not how the magic is done.I couldnt read the tiny writing, what with the bright lighting,my contact lenses being full of tears and giggling.Nor was it priced-expensive Id guess.I know the staff well and together we spotted several potential customers lurking behind the foot deodorants and home enema kits.Needless to say I didnt buy any.But if you want to cheer up your local chemist,nip in and buy some tomorrow.Dont be surprised if they have to get some from the store and are some time,thats quite usual.You heard it here first-unless youve already got some!^_^

Top Bottom