England : Hampshire Night Ride Around The Coast - 14 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

Did riding holidays with 10 friends when I was a teenager, I would be up for this. Haven't been back to IOW for 25 years

HorTs

Über Member
I'd be interested.

boybiker

Guru
I would be very interested as long as I can get the time off work ^_^. Doing the Reading - Brighton ride and a full day of work on the Friday was not the best of ideas come 8 o'clock at Brighton !

Last edited:
Good idea Stu! When Rebecca & I were over there last week, we were pondering about an IoW night ride. I can probably do you a risk assessment from memory for Shanklin to Ventnor taking account of the potholes..............

Anyway, I've got an idea for a route going round the coast including a detour right out to the Needles and 2 different sections of long sea wall on both the north and south of the island, with some fantastic switchbacks thrown in and some historic architectural oddities, would be about 70 miles and 5,000 ft of climbing & descending. Might be best to wait until next year, now that summer seems to be over.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Good idea Stu! When Rebecca & I were over there last week, we were pondering about an IoW night ride. I can probably do you a risk assessment from memory for Shanklin to Ventnor taking account of the potholes..............

Anyway, I've got an idea for a route going round the coast including a detour right out to the Needles and 2 different sections of long sea wall on both the north and south of the island, with some fantastic switchbacks thrown in and some historic architectural oddities, would be about 70 miles and 5,000 ft of climbing & descending. Might be best to wait until next year, now that summer seems to be over.
I might need to make throat lozenges mandatory, otherwise people will be making themselves hoarse calling 'hole' :rolleyes: Will naturally aim to minimise craterage on the route though. As posted upthread, spring would be best (I'm not sure there'd be many takers for November/December...). Those ideas sound good, looking forward to seeing them.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Interested. I need to be in France for the recce in may though.
This is likely to be before May, I think....

I've worked out a nice 71 mile route here, which makes maximum use of various Esplanades and sea walls for coast hugging. I've got it ending in Ryde, as I know there's a Wetherspoons there which opens at 7 am. Then people can go back to Fishbourne if they bought a return ticket, but it would make more sense to just go down the hill onto the Pier (which is fun - just avoid getting your tyres caught in the gaps in the boards), to get the catamaran back to Portsmouth Harbour. Or just lounge on the beach.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

I've worked out a nice 71 mile route here, which makes maximum use of various Esplanades and sea walls for coast hugging. I've got it ending in Ryde, as I know there's a Wetherspoons there which opens at 7 am. Then people can go back to Fishbourne if they bought a return ticket, but it would make more sense to just go down the hill onto the Pier (which is fun - just avoid getting your tyres caught in the gaps in the boards), to get the catamaran back to Portsmouth Harbour. Or just lounge on the beach.
Thanks Adam, looks good.

Top Bottom