No Wiggo for TDF, WTF!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob88

Retired, demented
:laugh:

I visualise you shuffling your pile of used notes from one side of the table to the other as you enumerate points.

And was this before or after beefy Bertie stormed into the lead at the Dauphine?

I placed the bet with William Hill at 1.25pm Continental time (12.25pm UK time) Friday 13th. (Am in BialystokPoland now) So that was before Froome took his tumble and posted the thread at 13.48 UK time Sat 14th - probably an hour or so before Alberto
put the boot in? I caught that on Youtube Sat night.

I was as surprised as everyone else when Froome couldn't respond as he appeared OK after his fall the day before. My hunch on Contador was based on the stress that Froome
is going to face with the Wiggins selection business and my guess that Bertie has a bit more form to come before the Tour. When I saw the footage of Froome's amazing attacks on Stage two I could not believe the difference in pedalling cadence between him and Contador. Difficult to judge but it looked like Froome was revving 30-40% higher than Contador. I have always found it painfull to watch Froome on a bike as his saddle looks so low to me. I can understand the science gurus tweaking his position to make him streamlined for time trialling but if the cost of that is a lower position than required for max power climbing - he is obliged to twiddle his balls off. The fact that Bertie stayed with him to the end although by contrast he was definitely overgeared when he tried to take Froome on the line, suggested to me that Bertie possibly has the beating of him physically and he is on another level in race tactics anyway. It's all guesswork of course but I think Alberto's smart enough to learn what he needs to do to beat Froome. It wouldn't surpise me to see him climbing on lower gears himself next month.

Rob88

Retired, demented
Fixed that for you! ^_^
Well perhaps a tenner is rash, maybe a fiver forlorn hope then. Still there have been stranger bets - a guy recently posted on the Facebook "80's Cycling remembered" how he put 100 quid on Greg Lemond in 1989 at odds of 100 to 1. Must have been worth a shedload back then.

NorvernRob

Anyone still think Wiggins has any hope of the tour after today? It looks to me like he's thrown his toys out of the pram, has given up and the only place he's going is another team. Henao and Kennaugh look like they have a great chance though.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Anyone still think Wiggins has any hope of the tour after today? It looks to me like he's thrown his toys out of the pram, has given up and the only place he's going is another team. Henao and Kennaugh look like they have a great chance though.

He doesn't look very interested, does he? He may not be the designated rider on this one, and sure, he's leaving Sky at the end of the season, but he doesn't look like he's prepared to help his teammates very much.

NorvernRob

He doesn't look very interested, does he? He may not be the designated rider on this one, and sure, he's leaving Sky at the end of the season, but he doesn't look like he's prepared to help his teammates very much.

Which, if it's true, is criminal for a highly paid employee and a kick in the teeth to his team mates working their arses off for each other. I wonder if the rumours about OGE are or were true, unless he's already signed something why on earth would they want to pay his wages when they have the Yates' brothers who are massive prospects.

Roscoe

Veteran
I would think Kennaugh will be included, apparently being touted as a future GT winner. Did well last year, apart from his unfortunate excursion off the road.

May be too early for Henao, can see him more likely being lined up for the Vuelta. Now that I've said that, he'll no doubt be off to the Tour!

Top Bottom