No Wiggo for TDF, WTF!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
The Froome / Wiggins story stirs up echoes of the Seb Coe / Steve Ovett Olympics face off back in the 80's. Such a scenario is perfect for the nation's sports media. They can indulge themselves in whipping up a polarisation of fans comparing the faults and attributes of both and since they're both Brits it isn't unpatriotic, it's sporting luxury. If Wiggo does "a ride" in Switzerland the story won't just have legs it could explode on the run in to the Tour start, depending on how England does in the world cup, Andy Murray at Wimbledon and the weather (in England) itself and the absence of competing big news stories at the start of July. I am sure that the "suits" at SKY have figured that much out although they may not yet fully understand the phenomenon of "Tour Fever". As a global media corporation is seems inconceivable that they don't see the potential of this one - or do they? Would it be too cynical to think the whole story is being stage managed? Last minute reprieve from the govenor, petitions on Facebook for Wiggo etc
Not cynical at all.

Is the TDF on Sky? Or is it just ITV/Eurosport?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Is the TDF on Sky? Or is it just ITV/Eurosport?

Sky would love to get the TdF but the EBU has negotiated with ASO to get pan-European rights for Eurosport and Sky don't really get a look in. Just don't ask me the details of how it works but I think the EBU is basically an alliance of public service broadcasters that work together to counter the financial might of commercial broadcasters like Sky.

Anyway, the upshot is that Eurosport have the TdF until 2019 at least, which is jolly good news all round.

Rob88

Retired, demented
Well I did not see Wiggins' ride but I saw Fabian's and Martins before I had to go out and I have to say I felt quite ill looking at the course. For a prologue, with all the main contenders nerves riding on it, a course like that was simply criminal. As I left I said to my wife, I did not expect Wiggo to finish in the first 10 because he would not be able to handle the descent - he's never raced on a motor-bike (to my knowledge - and I read every thing I can) It was designed for the locals Cancellara? Thank God it did not rain. Whoever said the Swiss were calculating remorseless bastards ? Well Orson Welles for one.

Rob88

Retired, demented
How curious, every time I try to respond on this site to people like Rich P above who do not show respect for professional cyclists and no doubt "ponder life" mysteries
the software automatically converts my chosen adjective to *******s

I think you're probably misreading Rich's reply. I think it's all very much tongue in cheek and aimed squarely at those who might criticise Wiggo for coming 10th.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think you're probably misreading Rich's reply.

It's that time of year when discussion in this section of the forum turns to doping and Wiggins, and the regulars find their terrible sense of humour isn't indulged as much as usual.

Rob88

Retired, demented
Well Mr Crackle (if that's your real name) you obviously like his stuff and I have previously liked yours so I
'll reserve further judgement/comment.

suzeworld

Veteran
Taking it all into account, I put 50 quid on Contador yesterday at 11/5

:laugh:

I visualise you shuffling your pile of used notes from one side of the table to the other as you enumerate points.

And was this before or after beefy Bertie stormed into the lead at the Dauphine?

Top Bottom