No Wiggo for TDF, WTF!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I think this is all a set up. Wiggins contract with Sky expires this year, he goes to another team and next year we have a hyped 'duel' Wiggins vs Froome screed coming from the press who have no idea who any of the other worthy contenders are. If that race doesn't end the BS I suggest handbags at dawn.

DannyCFC

Not a massive surprise but I bet there are a few burger vans in Yorkshire wondering what'll replace the Wiggo Wi' Onions now.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not a massive surprise but I bet there are a few burger vans in Yorkshire wondering what'll replace the Wiggo Wi' Onions now.
That's easy, it's a Froome Dog.
7623019486_357efb3698.jpg

PaulB

Legendary Member
Living close to the route on day one and two, I've been reading some local on-line stuff suggesting Froome's appearance will not be met with universal happiness. There are people claiming Froome will be Joe Bugner to Wiggins' Henry Cooper and he'll be barracked unmercifully and not welcomed round here.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Living close to the route on day one and two, I've been reading some local on-line stuff suggesting Froome's appearance will not be met with universal happiness. There are people claiming Froome will be Joe Bugner to Wiggins' Henry Cooper and he'll be barracked unmercifully and not welcomed round here.
Jesus H Whatsit, we wait over 100 years for a Tour de France winner and now people want to have a go at one of the guys who did it.

And I always preferred Bugner to Cooper anyway.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Two potential winners in the same team is never a good idea anyway. There is always the possibility of treachery when the designated number two decides he can win himself so why play second fiddle and let the other guy take the spoils. Lemond / Hainault and Roche / Visentini show what can happen there.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Wasn't the strategy in 2012 to treat the harder mountain climbs as akin to time trials allowing Wiggins to gradually reel in the more explosives climbers. By disappearing into the distance, Froome was threatening to tear that strategy to shreds, or am I missing something! :whistle:

Chris Norton

For someone that made a lot of noise about never wanting to ride a GT again, it's all a bit of a non story. The year wiggo won the tour the route was made for him. He would never have won it last year even if he was in the form of his life. I do reckon if his form is as good as he reckons, then the Vuelta is coming up and god knows it would be nice to have a brit tackle that baby properly.

NorvernRob

For someone that made a lot of noise about never wanting to ride a GT again, it's all a bit of a non story. The year wiggo won the tour the route was made for him. He would never have won it last year even if he was in the form of his life. I do reckon if his form is as good as he reckons, then the Vuelta is coming up and god knows it would be nice to have a brit tackle that baby properly.

Exactly, I don't get all this rubbish about two leaders because Wiggins doesn't have a chance of winning the tour this year even if Froome was out. He looked good in California but won it purely because of the TT. He lost time on the mountain stage, he can churn out an even power for a long time but has no explosiveness and Contador, Froome, Quintana etc would just ride away from him in the high mountains.

High mountains + 1 ITT near the end of the race = no chance for Wiggins this year. Unfortunately a lot of casual 'fans' will have no idea, to them Wiggins is a god and I hope nobody reacts in a negative way towards Froome on the first couple of stages of the depart.

montage

God Almighty
Bloody hell how many grand tours does Wiggo need to win to be considered a contender in the eyes of you lot?! Have we not been here before in 2009, 2010?

To say a man who has been a world class track champion, a world class time triallist, a world class climber and now arguably. World class classics rider has no chance, you must be off your rocker!

Wiggins will be a seriously problem for Froome in 2015 if he can hit similar form

NorvernRob

Bloody hell how many grand tours does Wiggo need to win to be considered a contender in the eyes of you lot?! Have we not been here before in 2009, 2010?

To say a man who has been a world class track champion, a world class time triallist, a world class climber and now arguably. World class classics rider has no chance, you must be off your rocker!

Wiggins will be a seriously problem for Froome in 2015 if he can hit similar form

He'd only be a problem in a TT heavy tour, on a mountainous route Froome would destroy him. He would have done so in 2012, 2013 and would again this year.

He isn't a world class climber, he's a powerful climber for sure but is one paced and cannot contain explosive attacks.

Top Bottom