No Wiggo for TDF, WTF!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
He isn't a world class climber, he's a powerful climber for sure but is one paced and cannot contain explosive attacks.
It's not exciting TV, but the quickest way from the bottom of a mountain to the top is at a steady threshold pace. If you attack explosively,either you'll pay for it later or you've been taking it easy beforehand.
In 2012, there were no attacks because the opposition knew an attack would put them in the red and they would lose out.

NorvernRob

It's not exciting TV, but the quickest way from the bottom of a mountain to the top is at a steady threshold pace. If you attack explosively,either you'll pay for it later or you've been taking it easy beforehand.
In 2012, there were no attacks because the opposition knew an attack would put them in the red and they would lose out.

In 2012 there was no Froome or Contador to attack him though. That kind of threshold ride from Wiggins would hold off a lot of attacks certainly, but not from those two on top form, nor from Quintana and possibly a few others.

Fwiw I thought Wiggins ride up the mountain in California was brilliant TV, his cadence in that lower gear was so good but even then he lost 20+ seconds at the end of the stage.

yello

I'm inclined to agree with Robert Millar.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/robert-millar-blog-man-down

But what has respect to do with winning these days?

Did Wiggins shoot himself in the foot with his wavering (I will/I won't ride another GT)? Is Froome calling team decisions? Are Sky 'all-in' for Plan A? Who knows? It all makes for theatre and conjecture.

But I have real sympathies for Wiggins. I've warmed to him, he's human.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good article, maybe the publicity is what SKY are after.
Another thing being Brad could possibly win but Chris does have the chance to be the first Brit to retain the title.

robertob

The truth is probably somewhere in he middle in his case. If Wiggins would have been called up for Sky's Tour squad, it would have been only for a supporting role. That's what Wiggins also acknowledged for quite a while. There is no question, that if Wiggins and Froome would get on well, that Wiggins would be in the team. There is no rational reason why you would leave a former Tour winner, who showed good form this season, at home. He would be a fantastic addition to any squad in the Tour, even more so as a first call domestique. But there are other things that play into it here. Froome and Wiggins in one team is potentially a deadly combination - that's what Sky is thinking at least - it could put Froome's title defense in danger, as any distractions can be difficult to deal with during a three weeks tour where intensity an pressure are on. I believe Wiggins when he said he would be ready to work for Froome during the Tour. But Sky doesn't believe so, or at least they believe with these two in the team, an escalation isn't far away. So that's why they leave Wiggins out of the squad. There is no margin for error in the Tour. Froome needs to be fully concentrated on the task ahead. Instead with Wiggins, there would be always questions from the media over the relationship of these two, how much Wiggins helped or not helped etc. which would lead to distraction. I understand Sky's decision from that point of view. They have a clear goal, and a clear number one to achieve this goal. They try to avoid any possible issue that could distract from achieving this goal. It's tough on Wiggins, who would be part of any other Tour squad. If he can win the Tour again isn't the question then. But that he would at least be able to challenge for a good GC position, that is ensured.

In 2012 there was no Froome or Contador to attack him though. That kind of threshold ride from Wiggins would hold off a lot of attacks certainly, but not from those two on top form, nor from Quintana and possibly a few others.

Fwiw I thought Wiggins ride up the mountain in California was brilliant TV, his cadence in that lower gear was so good but even then he lost 20+ seconds at the end of the stage.
You're forgetting his 2nd hill stage in California, where he jumped on Yate's wheel and put in another 10seconds or so on 2nd place, you're forgetting Nibali was riding in the 2012 tour, you're forgetting he was 4th in 2009, with no team riding tempo for him, you're forgetting they got the gearing wrong at the Vuelta which enabled a drugged up Cobo to get away, in fact you're forgetting a lot of things, not that I don't entirely disagree with you but Wiggo is a serious GC contender in any race he's in form for.

I really dont understand where all this bradley bashing comes from, as far as i can see froome was in the wrong in 2012 when he was called back and claimed the radio wasnt working, whether he felt he was the stronger rider is of no consequence, he was there, and being paid, to do a job, pure and simple, i have many times worked with people i dont particularly like, but the job still gets done,
That aside, froome is a bloody good rider in form and so is wiggins , i think he will be missed.

NorvernRob

You're forgetting his 2nd hill stage in California, where he jumped on Yate's wheel and put in another 10seconds or so on 2nd place, you're forgetting Nibali was riding in the 2012 tour, you're forgetting he was 4th in 2009, with no team riding tempo for him, you're forgetting they got the gearing wrong at the Vuelta which enabled a drugged up Cobo to get away, in fact you're forgetting a lot of things, not that I don't entirely disagree with you but Wiggo is a serious GC contender in any race he's in form for.

I like Wiggins, and in his current form he should certainly be in the tour squad. I'm just questioning the people who think he should be team leader in front of Froome (tbh I'm sick of reading posts on Team Sky's FB page from people saying that).

He says he'd go and ride for Froome, in that case he should go but I don't think he could win GC against an in form Contador and some of the other climbers in a tour with only one TT.

Ps: I remember Nibali cracking in 2012 and Froome urging Wiggins on at that point, in fact I remember shouting at the TV! ^_^

oldroadman

Veteran
Wiggins was at the velo today whilst I was riding a SQT ... he was in the sky HQ wonder what was going on there !
I think you will find that's GBCT HQ, not Team Sky, which is an entirely separate and independent business. maybe he was discussing how to convert back to a team pursuiter for 2016, after all, no-one has a guaranteed place.

oldroadman

Veteran
Living close to the route on day one and two, I've been reading some local on-line stuff suggesting Froome's appearance will not be met with universal happiness. There are people claiming Froome will be Joe Bugner to Wiggins' Henry Cooper and he'll be barracked unmercifully and not welcomed round here.

Pethetic. By people who know diddly squat about the business of professional racing.

suzeworld

Veteran
Don't worry on that score, they won't even recognise him quickly enough to frame their insults, will they? Newbie-shnewbies

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This whole business reminds me of the clamour to take Beckham to the last World Cup. It was a blessing in disguise when he got injured and couldn't play. Maybe Wiggo should do us all a favour and trip over a Swiss goatherd or something.

Top Bottom