Nomadic life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve always been fascinated by people who like/choose to live ’off-grid’, whether it be nomadic or permanently based somewhere in isolation or away from the ’matrix’ that is modern society.
Naturally old age, sickness, ill-health is an ever- increasing thought playing on your mind, but we’ve all got to go one day, so best to live the life you feel most comfortable with.
Ben Fogle’s progams are very interesting and deal with this topic of being isolated and self-sufficient.
Yep, saw one of those over Christmas, very good, mean to watch more. Fogle is very good, impressive mix of being empathetic while retaining critical faculties.

Yep, saw one of those over Christmas, very good, mean to watch more. Fogle is very good, impressive mix of being empathetic while retaining critical faculties.
I was absolutely hooked watching a survival ’game’ on The History Channel a few years ago.
Alone - series three, when 10 participants from North America have to see who can last/survive the longest living by themselves around a large lake in Patagonia with the onset of winter.
Armed only with the basics, they have to forage for food, hunt or fish, gather firewood, build a ’home’/comfortable shelter where they could be living for upto 2-3 months.
Their wellbeing and mental state is of the utmost importance.
I think they made 10 series altogether, but I’ve only seen the 3rd one.
Watch it if you can.

presta

Guru
I used to daydream about it, but wondered how you'd go about opening bank accounts with no address. The nearest I've been to nomadic is cycle touring for up to a month at a time, or walking long distance footpaths, but that's staying in hostels. At 6'5" I think I'd quickly get fed up of not having the room to swing a cat or the room to get dry in a motorhome.

I've been a hermit ever since I quit work 25 years ago, aged 38.

I've been a nomad for the last two and a half years. I quit my job, sold up/donated everything I own and headed off on the bike. Covid changed plans drastically getting locked down for a year, closed borders and lots of stress crossing when opened.

I've read a lot of bike touring blogs/books and it's interesting how many people "disappear" after returning to normal life. I don't know if that's a sign of "that phase of my life is over" or of something darker. The ones who don't disappear tend to try to make a living from it with YouTube channels, blogs etc.

One thing to remember about a lot of YouTube videos is that they're nearly always selling something and are not always fully honest. Certainly a lot of bike touring videos I've seen have evolved from "here's a video of my trip" to "here's a trip I made so that I could video it".
And we rarely see the disasters or the people who gave up.

I'm coming to the end of my trip - I'd need another year to get to my destination - and after 2.5 years I'm happy with that. I'm leaving the second half for later. ^_^
I think it takes a special kind of mentality to do multiple years.

Since I don't have a "home" to return to I'm going to continue riding my bike and look for a nice place to settle down and live. I'm 49 and need to work.
If I can I'd like to organise my life so that I can take 3-6 months every year or two to do similar.

Travelling solo has advantages and disadvantages. Total freedom has to be balanced against loneliness at times or just the lack of a buddy to offer encouragement. The last few months I found that the scale was tipping too often to the lonely side. Due to COVID I am meeting far fewer other bike tourists than I would have expected.

Technology is great for staying in touch. It's not that long ago that the only practical way of staying in touch was an airmail letter. With luck I'll be able to watch Ireland trash England on Saturday on the other side of the world on my telephone^_^

There are some wonderful people to be met along the road. Connections can be easy and fulfilling. I've often felt lonelier in a crowded room than I do on a friendly road on the bike.

There is a wonderful simplicity to each day. Food, drink and a place to sleep.
What's "normal" changes and we are pleased with the simplest things.
Of course there's discomfort and suffering but there is also a great sense of achievement and exploring new places. The things we fear while sitting at home don't seem so bad when on the road.

Had I done this trip at 19 or 29 it would have been a very different trip. I'd have been in the same countries but seen them from a completely different perspective. For anyone thinking "it's a young person's game", I'd strongly disagree.

There are lots of complications with not having an address such as health insurance, banking etc. but they can be overcome. Unfortunately, age can become a factor with a lot of companies refusing health insurance to older nomads.

Digital nomads, people who can work online, are becoming more and more common. There are organisations that match people with skills to people needing those skills so that the nomad has a place to stay and food in exchange for their labour.

One of the great things about a nomadic life is the concept that there is always a place to move on to. No matter how bad the day there's a new place, a new opportunity just down the road. And if it's a perfect day then there's no need to move at all.

One thing that I think is important is to commit. There's not a lot of point in having a go at a nomadic life, be it for 3 months or three years, and comparing the new life with the old. Things will be different - embrace the change.

A mural I passed a few months ago said something like " A dream (or a wish) changes nothing ...... A decision changes everything."

A bit bumpy, a bit wet, not quite sure where I'm going to be sleeping...... but free.

Ste T.

Guru
You’ll like the story of The Hermit of Loch Treig then. He’s 74 and has been living alone, miles from anyone and surviving by foraging and fishing for 40 years. He lives in a log cabin that he built himself, which has a log fire but no other services such as electricity or running water.

A woman who heard about him made a film of his lifestyle over the past two years and he agreed to come down to Glasgow to see its first screening. He had to get up at 4 am to then walk two hours to the nearest road where he was picked up for the journey to Glasgow.

You can read more about him here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59174870 and here
View: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-60640173

He seems a very content and likeable fellow.

I'm surprised that him coming to public notice hasn't lead to the bean counters at the local council ordering him to dismantle his home. 🤔

yello

I think the lure of a nomadic existence might, in part, be reactionary. You see yourself as trapped (for whatever reason) and seek an escape route; a kind of 'fight or flight' reaction.

It looks idyllic, a life on the road, but there will obviously be downsides. The blogs and lifestyle gurus tend not to dwell on those. Those blogs etc are income channels too of course and unless you've got a wedge in the bank, living on the road won't be long-term sustainable. You'll reach the end of the road - then what?

I did 6 months around Europe in a VW combi (a rights of passage thing for we antipodeans) and whilst it was undeniably one of the best things I've ever done, I'm not sure I'd repeat it. There is daily hassle and significant restriction, primarily space, which after a while tires - and some folk would start longing for 'normality'.

I think there can be a tendancy to overreact when you're in flight mode, and go 'all in' with your solution. There's no need to take to the road when a reassessment of where you are and what you want might reveal a more sustainable existence, albeit one a little less radical. I've no idea what form that might take for everyone, it obviously varies according to circumstance, but simply selling up, down-sizing and living rurally might do the trick!

And then there are health issues; humans are social animals and loneliness and isolation can mess with the brain. I think we all need social interaction, friends, going out and having a laugh... that sort of thing. Not every day, but regular (as determined by your personality). I think a happy nomadic existence takes an attitude that most of us probably don't have or, in truth, want.

Adam4868

Guru
I'm not sure about living off grid so to speak,but I loved travel when younger.Kids changed that ! Spent years in different countries.Allways travelled alone and met people obviously but liked the idea of doing things when I wanted.Im selfish that way.
Started with a 14 month Australia trip at 18 then travelled most of the world.Spending most of my time in Asia,allways had a thing for India.Finally spent a year travelling through China where I met my partner.
Now it's a week in Italy/France if I'm lucky ^_^

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Nomadland is a good film following economic migrants in US.

The UK doesn’t really have many Nomads. It only really works in large empty spaces with good weather.

It’s interesting to compare the attitudes of modern nomads with the traveller community. If the scene grows in the UK they may get the same treatment.

yello

Nomadland is a good film following economic migrants in US.

The UK doesn’t really have many Nomads. It only really works in large empty spaces with good weather.

It’s interesting to compare the attitudes of modern nomads with the traveller community. If the scene grows in the UK they may get the same treatment.
I was thinking of Nomandland as I wrote my earlier post. There's a revealing scene (I think anyway) when her car breaks down and she really doesn't have the money to get it repaired. That's a new definition to living on the edge.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Top Bottom