Nomadic life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would like the idea if I didn't have kids or close family. I lived out of a panel Van in Australia and it was great fun, but most of it was with a friend or girlfriend. I'm very happy being on my own and the freedom of not having a job, bills and possessions would be fine. But I'd miss my family. I do like post apocalyptic films and dramas and would probably cope ok, but in this country if everyone was still around it would be very difficult! I could see myself trying it for 3 days and then getting arrested for something stupid like drinking tea on a Tuesday whilst within 3 miles of town council land

oldwheels

Legendary Member
MY wife and myself once spent about 3 winter months in our camper van but using a site near Aberdeen as a base so had electricity for heat and light as well as a good toilet block. Worked out ok but we had a house to come back to eventually.
Last year I met a guy who lived in an old Merc. van which had a coal burning stove built in. He lived there with his wife as being a new college teacher they wanted to save up for a house. His wife also worked at the college and they moved around the area to different spots when not working. The local population were pretty tolerant and they never stayed too long in one spot and never had any trouble.
It can be done.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Its nothing new really, very popular alternative lifestyle in the 1990s but various legislation made it much more difficult for groups. Plus people grew up and presumably had families etc. To live that lifestyle out of a van for years you need quite a lot of money as well.It tends to be fairly well healed people that do it from what I've seen.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Don't agree that you need a lot of cash.
I lived in a twelve foot caravan for four years, 1993-7, working as a forester contractor. Dragged my home with me to each new job.
Great. Liberating. Hard work. The 'van cost me £300 if I recall, and gas was about £4 a week.

Three separate friends have moved into vans etc this last few years because they can't afford homes. Their work is remote, so now they work from the side of the road. Seems to work.

We need more varied ways to live than boring houses. All for it.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I watch a lot of Youtube videos both from English and French people having decided to live their lives in converted vans or campers. They want to escape the rat race and live a more simpler life, travelling Europe or just their own countries.
Some are on their own with maybe a dog for companion and others are couples with or without children.
I found their stories fascinating and often wonder if I could live as a nomade.
They live simple lives travelling around, not driven by money and the need to constantly accumulate material things.
They make me dream of a different life, away from the constraints of modern living but not without its own problems too.
I respect them and inwardly admire them too for having the guts to do something different.

How do travellers access financial services? Banks, insurance companies (etc) require a permanent fixed address.

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Don't agree that you need a lot of cash.
I lived in a twelve foot caravan for four years, 1993-7, working as a forester contractor. Dragged my home with me to each new job.
Great. Liberating. Hard work. The 'van cost me £300 if I recall, and gas was about £4 a week.

Three separate friends have moved into vans etc this last few years because they can't afford homes. Their work is remote, so now they work from the side of the road. Seems to work.

We need more varied ways to live than boring houses. All for it.
That might work in a remote area, but not in a city or be very difficult. There's no tolerance here at all for travellers in caravans or vans etc. They are moved on straight away or within a week or so. I supported proposals for a local traveller site being built and I was a lone voice amongst hundreds. I was getting abuse on Facebook etc.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
How do travellers access financial services? Banks, insurance companies (etc) require a permanent fixed address.
I think many of them use their parents or other relatives address.
Also, what puzzles me is what are they going to do when they are older, say 70 +? At the moment, all the ones I watch are between 25 and 50.
Their main stream of income seem to be from Youtube too. I know of one family with 4 children who are making about 2000 euros a month from their videos but they have to produce two a week for that of 30 minutes each. They never seem to be short of money either.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Also, what puzzles me is what are they going to do when they are older, say 70 +? At the moment, all the ones I watch are between 25 and 50.
Their main stream of income seem to be from Youtube too. I know of one family with 4 children who are making about 2000 euros a month from their videos but they have to produce two a week for that of 30 minutes each. They never seem to be short of money either.
I only need access to a cash machine.

Gunk

Guru
That will change, quite a few businesses are not taking cash anymore.

With banking moving on line and cash disappearing, it will be very challenging to genuinely live off grid.

My brother manages without any internet and electronic devices, the only way of communicating with him is via a land line.

However my other brother now has to help him with certain aspects of his life, as modern organisations are just not set up or flexible enough to deal with people without an on-line life.

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
They may have money/inherited wealth that you don't know about. Loads of people have but obviously keep things private.

yello

Also, what puzzles me is what are they going to do when they are older, say 70 +?
That'd be my concern. Being older often means being more frail and requires more visits to the doc etc. All's well and good when you're fit and healthy and can sort yourself out but I'm not sure a nomad existence suits when you need assistance. It can be done, obviously, where there's a will there's a way etc, and I'm sure some do manage, but it wouldn't be my ideal scenario let's put it that way.

Chief Broom

Veteran
The romanticised dream and the gruesome reality...plenty of comic potential there ^_^ if someone has lots of cash to keep discomfort away then sure it'll be a breeze. I spent quite a while on the road and its actually cheaper to rent a static. Petrol/food/laundry etc The novelty of living in a small metal box soon wears thin and the 'freedom' is like a cell on wheels. If someone has a house they can retreat to parents/friends etc then theyre really just toying with the notion...bit like people who do documentaries on the homeless by becoming homeless for a while,,,until they go home.....
Anyhoo this is purely a personal view on it and others may think its wonderful...good luck to them :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
My idea of a nomadic lifestyle would be touring Europe with Mrs Gunk, in a Porsche 911 staying in the best hotels.

We borrowed a friends motorhome for a long weekend a few years ago and it was torture.

View attachment 634484
Been there, done that!
Well, to be more accurate it was a Yamaha motorbike and staying in budget hotel chains like Formule 1 and Étap 😄. None the worse for that, though.
If I had the means, I would do it all again in an Aston Martin, staying at high end hotels.

Top Bottom