'Non-MAMIL' cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

No tucking offered or implied!

I'll still be wearing SPDs though; that would be a bridge too far.

For over 30 years I commuted in my work clothes and steel toe capped boots, I was on clips and straps and used to straighten and rebend the toe clips so I could use them with the boots.

Tin Pot

Guru

BTW I'm not growing a beard; I'm just fighting off a bad cold and my face is far too sore to shave...

Now I can see why 'stretch' material is so important to proper cycling trousers! I didn't expect the restricted movement to take so much out of me. I found I was rocking side to side slightly, as if my seat is too high (it isn't).

Other than that they're fine! It'd be nice to have some Rapha, Swrve or Vulpine ones, but my Burton ones cost me £6 from a charity shop. Once more I spin the wheel of smugness! :becool:

What you need is M&Ss fabled cycling chinos. Now discontinued though I think they came up with some sort of follow up - don't know what they are like. Failing that I think you have the right approach using cheaper jeans. I sometimes use cheap thin jeans. Wouldn't want to cycle far in traditional "quality" thicker jeans - as you say, too tiring.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hows the breathing , had a tight chest all week from a cold , no PBs of any kind this week .

I'm OK. I felt dreadful on Wednesday but much, much better by yesterday morning.

I suppose we cyclists recover quicker than most as we're regularly using our full lung capacity. I broke a rib once and the doc gave me antibiotics; apparently if you're not breathing properly you're prone to chest infections...

sheffgirl

I'm OK. I felt dreadful on Wednesday but much, much better by yesterday morning.

I suppose we cyclists recover quicker than most as we're regularly using our full lung capacity. I broke a rib once and the doc gave me antibiotics; apparently if you're not breathing properly you're prone to chest infections...
I do tend to cough once I arrive at work, I think it's because I've opened up my lungs with all the fresh air on the ride. It doesn't sound too healthy to my colleagues though lol :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

I do tend to cough once I arrive at work, I think it's because I've opened up my lungs with all the fresh air on the ride. It doesn't sound too healthy to my colleagues though lol :smile:

If its very cold and frosty you can get something called a racers cough, in my case training hard early on frosty mornings many years ago ended up with a case of severe bronchitis and a trip to the doctors.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well still coughing up lumps of flem today and lightheaded so im not taking the kids swimming and i hope to be well enough for a ride tomorrow.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm going to attempt this morning to use my bike for an errand in reasonably stylish attire.

I've bought some skinny trousers for cheap (from a charity shop) and I'm going to attempt to ride- with verve, gusto and elan- to look at a house we're interested in renting.

I know all this sounds utterly prosaic but it's quite a departure for me, it really is! I've done loads of miles and loads of commuting but always in proper cycling gear...

Hopefully if the trousers don't prove to be too restrictive I shouldn't be much slower than my usual pace but we'll see!

A
Dress for the destination not the journey. Like wot 'normal' people do when using 'normal' forms of transport.

?? - if you are on a bike you have to take some sort of account of the journey/prevailing weather conditions on the way surely, even if it means taking some sort of partial change of clothes.

If its very cold and frosty you can get something called a racers cough, in my case training hard early on frosty mornings many years ago ended up with a case of severe bronchitis and a trip to the doctors.

I get this a lot in the winter, I wear a thermal balaclava, when the weather is sub zero. I find it helps.

Effyb4

Veteran
My attire for cycling over the last couple of days, has been cargo shorts and a vest top. I find drivers to be a lot more considerate when I am in 'civvies'.

Top Bottom