'Non-MAMIL' cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
It's amazing the difference cycling clothes make to drivers. In "proper" cycling gear on the road bike I get the odd bit of agression and quite a few close passes. On the old MTB in so called normal clothes I never have any bother and am given a wide berth. Being 6'2" and 14.5 stone makes them think I'm a bit of a nutter I suppose and they stay well away. I've got a pair of the latest M&S cycling pants. Very impressed and they were only £11 in the sale. There is a well known local gardener in my area. He only has a hybrid bike as transport. Big old guy. Wears normal worn out trousers, wellies and old suit jacket. I often see him weaving in and out of the crazy traffic on the A56 whilst balancing a huge Flymo on the handlebars. Nobody says boo to him.

Sara_H

Guru
What you need is M&Ss fabled cycling chinos. Now discontinued though I think they came up with some sort of follow up - don't know what they are like. Failing that I think you have the right approach using cheaper jeans. I sometimes use cheap thin jeans. Wouldn't want to cycle far in traditional "quality" thicker jeans - as you say, too tiring.
Yes my OH biught two pairs of those when they were reduced.
He barely ever takes them off!

Top Bottom