North Somerset ride. October 24th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
adds21

adds21

Rider of bikes
I am planning on doing a camping tour around the Avon Cycleway 85 mile circle around the outskirts of Bristol as soon as time off coincides with dry weather..

My rough plan is to start at Avonmouth (as I have somewhere to leave the car there) then go around it clockwise possibly camping or band b near chew Valley lake.

Any of you guys cycled it? Would a road bike or hybrid be better?

You'll be fine with a road bike. I've cycled most of it, except the north east corner (by Frampton Cotterell). Certainly the south part of it, which I know well, is almost all small country lanes, and while many are in pretty bad condition, a road bike should easily be able to handle them (as long as you keep your eyes open for pot holes!).

I’m probably biased because the route goes virtually past my front door (give or take 100 meters), but there are some lovely cycling lanes in the south half!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for that. Where I live Pothole dodging is an essential skill so should be ok. :thumbsup:

U

User482

The northern half of the cycleway is also all minor roads too, save for a small section of cyclepath where it links with the Bristol/ Bath path. Not too hilly either, just one climb out of Thornbury IIRC.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The northern half of the cycleway is also all minor roads too, save for a small section of cyclepath where it links with the Bristol/ Bath path. Not too hilly either, just one climb out of Thornbury IIRC.

I am looking forward to doing it now, thanks.

Davidc

Guru
Back to the ride on 24th - where exactly is the meeting point? Can't guarantee I'll be available yet though.

i.e. I know where the lake is but where's the car park?

Davidc

Guru
Thanks for that. If i'm free I'll try to be there - but I've only been down the Cheddar Gorge and that was a long long time ago - not convinced about going up it! Walking seems likely.

Getting too old for stunts like that! Never mind, give it a try.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm not gonna make it tomorrow, I've just been in the garage servicing my bike and I expect I'll give it a test run on the Bristol to Bath cycle path tomorrow instead, but I am jealous of all who do go on the ride, the ride up onto the mendips via cheddar is one I want to do sometime!

OP
OP
adds21

adds21

Rider of bikes
Looking out the window, it looks like we'll be lucky with the weather today! See whoever is coming, later!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Have a nice day ... certainly looks very calm and clear out there now.... (though cold ... temp currently 3.8 and falling...)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I take it back ... just back from a dash and grab ride for cake ingredients ... its beautiful out there not cold... silkily cool, quiet and I would love to have had the time for a long ride.

Davidc

Guru
Not going to make it today, other duties call this morning - sad given the weather and forecast for later.

Enjoy it - sunglasses compulsory I think...

Chutzpah

Über Member
Sorry everyone, was really looking forward to this but my son is ill. Weather looks perfect for it too
sad.gif

OP
OP
adds21

adds21

Rider of bikes
Lovely ride today. Was only me and BlueDog in the end, but the weather was perfect, and the cakes at the bottom of Cheddar were excellent. We did about 35 miles by the time we got back to the lake. It was actually the furthest I've riden my new bike (been too busy with commuting!), so it was nice to give it a proper run.

Looking forward to the next one!

Chutzpah

Über Member
So sorry at the drop out - been eyeing the blue skies enviously. Haven't even been able to give mine a good clean down and re-oil ready for the week ahead
sad.gif

Top Bottom