November forum ride from Hebden Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'Climbs Hills Slowly'

Hi all.

I said that I'd organise something in November for those of you who couldn't make my October ride (plus, of course, anybody who did make it but fancies more of the same!). Okay, in honour of my new Sioux name, we will call it - 'Climbs Hills Slowly'! :becool: After some discussion, we've decided on Sunday 29th November, start time 09:45.

So here are the stats. - 85 km with 1,900+ m of climbing (53 miles, 6,250+ ft). There is the usual mix of long steady drags, lots of moderately steep shorter hills, and a few really tough ones to get stuck into. Much of the route is on scenic, quiet roads. There are a few roads and climbs that most of you won't have done before. Some of the other climbs are old favourites e.g. Cragg Vale - the 'Longest continuous gradient in England'. Some of the roads/climbs will be tackled in the opposite direction to the way we usually do them. Cafe stop at Coldwell Activity Centre after 55 km (34 miles).

Route (to be ridden clockwise)
nov-29th-2009-forum-ride-route.jpg

nov-29th-2009-forum-ride-profile.jpg

Route Description
Meet Hebden Bridge, A646 to Mytholmroyd, B6138 to Blackstone Edge via Cragg Vale ('Longest continuous uphill gradient in England'), ***Caution at junction with A58*** - there could be freezing fog up there at the end of November and there are frequent accidents there in those conditions, great sweeping descent to Littleborough, to get us off A-roads for a while... climb through Caldermoor to Calderbrook, ***Caution on descent*** - technically, though the road is closed due to a landslip it is passable by bike, but there is a big drop in the road surface which I will point out!, quick burst along the A6033 to Walsden, turn right to get off the main road for a while (and I want to point out where this idiot nearly drove off a cliff due to blindly following his GPS!), rejoin A6033 for Todmorden centre, A646 towards Burnley, left turn immediately after the park, steep climb up through the woods, right at junction, continue climbing steeply up to Sour Hall, straight on over cattlegrid, continue climbing less steeply, ***Caution on fast descent - steep, tight bends, gravel, narrow roads, unexpected oncoming vehicles!***, ***Extra caution on last few yards to A646 - the road turns steeply down to the right and spits you out straight into the traffic flow; you could have problems unclipping in time!***, turn right for Cornholme, left turn immediately after passing under the second railway viaduct, steep climb up through Shore (Pudsey Road, Shore New Road, Pudding Lane, Gall Lane, Mount Lane) all the way to Kebs Lane at the end of the Long Causeway where Alun, I and any other 'contemplative climbers' will rejoin you whippet climbers at a later time (or even a later date if we are on a particularly slow day! :biggrin:), turn right eventually cresting the hill above The Sportsmans Arms, nice descent to Blackshaw Head, bear left down to Jack Bridge, climb back up through Colden, descend to Slack, left turn onto Widdop Road, after a few km drop down into the dip at Blake Dean, steep climb up past the scout hostel, climb eases up to The Pack Horse, further climbing after Widdop Reservoir, ***Caution on steep descent and especially on the RH cattlegrid (don't go straight on - bear right)***, steep singletrack road climb (hope any vehicles give way to us!), right at junction and descend to the cafe stop at Coldwell Activity Centre at the 55 km point, turn right out of Coldwell, climb to the Clarion House crossroads, turn right, fast descent (with one little climb) to Trawden, right, immediate left, descend through the village, turn right up Keighley Road for a steepish little climb, after 1 km, turn right and descend to the junction in Laneshaw Bridge, turn right and do a moderately tough 3 km climb to the defunct Herders Arms, good blast down past Water Sheddles Reservoir, bear right down steep hill at Scar Top, ***Caution at Ponden Reservoir - ducks crossing road!*** :laugh:, steepish little climb to Stanbury, turn right soon after village, fast descent to Lower Laithe Reservoir, steepish climb of Penistone Hill, ***Caution - fast descent with crossroads halfway down***, trundle round to Oxenhope, right turn up A6033 where I will be immediately dropped by the climbers, 3 km climb to Cock Hill (220 m altitude gain), glorious 7 km descent to Hebden Bridge (just watch it on the bends folks, and especially as you come into Hebden Bridge itself).

GPX file of the route for those of you who use mapping software

Usual rules - fast climbers wait at the hilltops, nobody gets left behind, not for novice riders or impatient experienced riders! ;)

Meet at Market Place car park:

getmapimage.asp

It's a long stay car park and is only about 30p/hour. I'd suggest paying until 17:00 just to be on the safe side (wardens patrol here and issue £60 fines!)

After some discussion, we've decided on Sunday 29th November, start time 09:45. [Alun and I have averaged roughly 14 kph (including stops) on similar hilly rides this year so 85 km should take us about 6 hours. Sunset will be 15:53 that day. If Will (Bokonon) is coming in by train from Leeds, the earliest he can get to HB station on a Sunday is 09:29]

If we got delayed by mechanical problems, there's a chance we might do the last few miles as it is getting dark so it would be a good idea to carry lights just in case.

Who might be coming
  • ColinJ
  • aJohnson (assuming lift available and winter kit bought)
  • Bokonon
  • Sysagent
  • Alun
  • RedBike
  • jamesxyz
  • shauncollier (on a Brompton!)
  • colly
  • Svendo
  • goodspeed (if he doesn't have to work)
  • Crimmey (might turn up)
  • marinyork (injured)
  • Garz (can't make it - friends visiting)
  • trio25 (can't make it - doing a cyclo-cross race instead)

NB The weather might be turning wintry by the end of November so I propose a backup plan to ride to the Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington along the valley roads if freezing conditions keep us down off the hills.

Attachments

• nov-29th-2009-forum-ride-route.jpg
    nov-29th-2009-forum-ride-route.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 43
  • nov-29th-2009-forum-ride-profile.jpg
    nov-29th-2009-forum-ride-profile.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 41

aJohnson

Put me down as a maybe, I'd think I'll be able to make any date up there.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

marinyork said:
Any date except the 14th (theoretically I could do the 14th but it might be an odd day).
I'll put you down for all the other days then! It would be nice if you finally made it along to one of my rides.

I had a go at plotting a route last night. It looked quite interesting but the cafe stop was too early. The route wouldn't work as well in reverse because the challenging climbs would have become scary descents and some nice long descents would have been turned into less inspiring dragging climbs. Back to the virtual drawing board...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

marinyork said:
Argh!!!! You wait at the bottom and have a picnic if we do these scary descents.
That's why I don't want to do it in reverse! xx(

Garz said:
I will try and join you guys for this. Maybe even have the CC attire in time!
I'll put you down as not fussy about the date then.

Alun

Guru
Sysagent said:
Mmm, I would like to see the route first before commiting Colin but if I am keen I can make any date...

It'll be hilly, take it from me. Well within your capabilities though ! I'll be signing up when I've checked on the dates.

Top Bottom