Odd things I remembered today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
1. My dad used to test batteries using a small bulb and a cycle clip, bulb on top of battery, cycle clip to make circuit. He judged how good they were by how brightly the bulb glowed.

(I can't do this with my cycle clips, they're plastic-coated)

2. About 20 years ago I was listening to Simon Bates* on the radio and he said the following:

"I was talking to Freddie Mercury the other day and he was quoted.."

Simon pauses to think..

"..because he quoted himself"

Pauses

"..to me"

Mortiroloboy

I often have completely random memory event flashbacks. Things I've done, places I've been, stuff I've said/done...Years ago. But why?

Mortiroloboy

02GF74 said:
senility?

:biggrin: good God...I'm only 51...most of my forebears (both Maternal and Paternal) have gone slightly ga ga just before their eventual demise:sad:

It's all down hill from here then...

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Uncle Mort said:
Anthony Burgess wrote about learning pages and pages of poetry in his youth, and only being able to remember the lyrics of the most banal pop songs from his youth by the time he was middle-aged.

I learned loads of pop songs when I was a kid and all I can remember now are advertising jingles.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
palinurus said:
I learned loads of pop songs when I was a kid and all I can remember now are advertising jingles.

Funny that - today I remembered the song for a furniture store called Lee Longlands from about 20 years ago I guess, one of those one's that's always based in Darley Dale or the like.

Leave it, leave it to Lee, Leave it to Lee Longlands - Longlands..........

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Uncle Mort said:
Carcroft, Brigg, Thorp Arch, and Hull...

And I can remember the words from the Shackleton's original high seat advert verbatim.

Measham and Matlock too.....

It's all on youtube ent it?!!!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was sitting at my desk and two guys in the next cubicle were having a conversation. I've no idea what they were talking about but one of them used the word cadaver.

Only he pronounced it cad-ah-ver

A head appears over the partition, singing "we-el you say cad-ah-ver and I say cad-av-er..."

byegad

Legendary Member
My dad used to test bulbs the same way. He also used the tongue test if a bulb wasn't available. That really tingles!

I often worry my short term memory isn't what it was.
Additionally
I often worry my short term memory isn't what it was

mondobongo

Über Member
Only the other day I had a random flashback to a Teacher making me sand off the full words to Tubeway Army's 'Down in the Park' which I was so impressed at writing from memory. Guess what I still remember the words 26 years later.

Top Bottom