Odds against winning UK National Lottery - c. 14,000,000/1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I know a million maybe wouldn't set you up for the rest of your life. But it would change it. I'd retire, buy a couple of decent bikes, sort my house out, have a nice holiday, then... er... go back to work.:sad:

A million wouldn't set you up for the rest of your life and you'd reluctantly go back to work?!:ohmy: The cost of living must be higher in other parts of the country, a hundred grand would do me.:whistle:
If i remember correctly when the lottery started in about 1993 you were given financial advice on any winnings over £250,000. I wonder how much you have to win now before they advise you how to spend it?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A million wouldn't set you up for the rest of your life and you'd reluctantly go back to work?!

A low risk investment in savings accounts with banks/building societies will yeild £20,000 interest which, after tax, leaves you with £16,000 year.

Investing £100000 will yield £1600 per year.

Not a lot is it?

winjim

Smash the cistern
An Englishman's home is his castle and all that, and a million would be enough to buy a nice house outright with no mortgage, which is enough for me.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A million wouldn't set you up for the rest of your life and you'd reluctantly go back to work?!:ohmy: The cost of living must be higher in other parts of the country, a hundred grand would do me.:whistle:
If i remember correctly when the lottery started in about 1993 you were given financial advice on any winnings over £250,000. I wonder how much you have to win now before they advise you how to spend it?
I was kidding. I wouldn't dream of going back to work! :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I know a million maybe wouldn't set you up for the rest of your life. But it would change it. I'd retire, buy a couple of decent bikes, sort my house out, have a nice holiday, then... er... go back to work.:sad:
Invested wisely it could set you up for life, and beyond....well others for the beyond bit.

Clear any high interest debt, buy 2 or three good properties, become a landlord, live off the income. With no debt it's perfectly feasible to do so.

andyfraser

Über Member
If we won a million this weekend we'd buy a house outright, something that would last for the rest of our lives, quit our jobs, have a nice holiday or two but nothing too extravagant, get Christmas out of the way then find an easy, low paid job each. Without the big rent/mortgage bill we could live quite well even working part time (24 - 30 hours per week) on minimum wage.

tyred

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3939960, member: 9609"]we had one set of numbers that I used every draw from the very start, I even went in for the wed draw when that started up - but when it went up to £2 a go (£200 a year) I give it up, haven't played it since - when ever I now catch a glimpse of the winning numbers it is such a relief that they don't match mine - i wish I could somehow un-remember those numbers.[/QUOTE]

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I bet only for fun. Lotteries and scratch cards are not fun things to do, bunging a few quid on a Yankee or a lucky 15 buys an afternoon screaming at your horses on the telly and sometimes even yields a profit (£9.88 last Saturday, would have been around £280 if the 12/1 shot in the last race hadn't faded after leading most of the way).

Betting with the expectation of winning invariably ends in disappointment, though the stepson of a former colleague scooped thirteen million on the lottery about 15 years back - a month after said colleague had split with his wife and he got nothing, apart from two pages in the News of The World bitterly slagging his ex family off for leaving him with nothing except one tea cup.

Top Bottom