Old Peugeot Premiere (Possible Project)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
About an hour later I stripped it.

View attachment 517078

View attachment 517077

The only problem so far is that the crank set thread has been stripped so I wasn’t able to remove the chainset. Luckily the BB has absolutely no play so I’ll just leave it, the head bearings will need to be replaced but it doesn’t need much, just some cables, jockey wheels and a few consumables, I’ve got some spare tyres which I’ll fit and some other odds and sods like a better black seat which will improve it.

The chainset has come up well with some degreaser and wire wool

View attachment 517081

I’ve also removed some 30 year old stickers, cleaned the frame up and cut it back, so that’s enough for today, wheels will be next.

View attachment 517079

View attachment 517080
Wow, you don’t feck about do you, you only got it at 12.

Gunk

Guru
Parts ordered 👍

bar tape
Jockey wheels
Gear and brake cables
A metre of new white outer cable
Head bearings
Chain

about £30

Gunk

Guru
I was up early this morning and had a rummage through my stock of touch up paints. This is a pretty close match

I touched up the frame and managed to cover the worst of it, once dry I’ll cut the touched up areas right back, it won’t be perfect but should be a big improvement

the forks are a slightly different colour and are beyond touching in so I’ll prep them and repaint them in satin black

At one point this has had some money spent on it, the head bearings were in really good condition and the grease was fresh although they’d been overtightened, the replacement Mavic wheelset is really good quality and it’s been upgraded with a nice Shimano SLX rear mech to 8 speed.

Sadly it then spent its life as a typical Oxford commuter bike, poorly maintained, never cleaned, chained up to those horrible steel hoops and stored outside.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I think that they are pretty good bikes. I had one for a couple of years, the same colour. I bought it second hand, but it was a very good ride. I did many miles on it before it got nicked from outside the curry house where I was picking up my takeaway.:angry:

Gunk

Guru
Second caliper ready for assembly

Gunk

Guru
I moved on to the wheels today which were in a real state. I started with the front.

the old Gatorskin tyres were scrap, but this was a nice surprise

I removed the horrible nasty rim stickers, the residue took an age to remove, I then cleaned the rim and spokes with wire wool and GT85, fitted a new tyre and all done. I haven’t got the energy to do the rear yet, it’ll have to wait.

Last edited:
Top Bottom