Old Peugeot Premiere (Possible Project)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
however the bottom bracket needed the vice with the frame as a lever!

I used the vice method to remove both the locking ring and fixed cup which were stuck solid, it worked a treat, however the seized adjustable cup had such a slim head on the nut the vice wouldn’t grip it. I nearly gave up, but the tap spanner ended up being the perfect tool to remove it.

Gunk

Guru
So what crank are you re fitting ?

The original will go back on.

Gunk

Guru
It’s completely smooth, I don’t think it ever had an internal thread, and I doubt it’s ever been off the bike.

Gunk

Guru
How weird! Looks too nice to have been designed as a non serviceable/replaceable part for the sake of tapping some threads in.

I agree, it is strange, I’ve never seen one like it before. If the frame fitted me, I would keep this bike and upgrade the crankset, but as it’s being sold on I’ll put it back on with plenty of copper slip, so it can come back off in the future

Gunk

Guru
This afternoon I moved on to the rear mech, I’ve ordered new jockey wheels but it is in a bit of a state.

The backing plate was particularly poor and full of hardened congealed grease, however it responded with treatment and I gave it a quick repaint with satin black.

The mech itself I thoroughly cleaned and detailed, I removed and cleaned all the adjustment screws and copper greased all the threads.

Gunk

Guru
The final job before reassembly is to paint the forks, they are really scratched and marked so I have no alternative than to repaint them.

I rubbed them right back with fine wet and dry and managed to apply a coat of etch primer in between showers!

I’ll lightly rub them back before applying another coat and I’m going to finish them in gloss black.

ChrisEyles

Guru
It's a really great job you're doing here. Have to admit I usually just slap on a load of straight-to-metal rustoleum after scuffing up the original paint and call it good! This is going to turn out lovely.

Top Bottom