Olympic cycling - track and road (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Loved the medal ceremony - Carapaz being so emotional and Pog being rightfully chuffed to bits with his bronze! WVA didn't look too excited with silver. I hope he realises his achievement when it's sunk in.

Almost a different sport! Tactically different. I did wonder though that, were it not for WVA, if we'd have seen any one of that chasing pack risk losing a chance at bronze to chase down Carapaz and McNulty. They all seemed content to look at each other. Even the commentators were saying it was Carapaz & McNulty for gold/silver when the gap was around 50 seconds, and I was kinda incredulous at that given the strength in that chasing pack. But then I was thinking of the other type of road racing!

I think the fact that they don't have team radios giving them advice and info all the time makes a big difference.

Loved the medal ceremony - Carapaz being so emotional and Pog being rightfully chuffed to bits with his bronze! WVA didn't look too excited with silver. I hope he realises his achievement when it's sunk in.

Exactly. GTs are like buses, miss one and there's another along soon, :whistle:, but Olympics are only once in four years. And the medal is for you and your country not a transient sponsored team.

It might be enough for you or I, if we were good enough, yet I think he is such a driven athlete he isn’t only interested in gold.
And he now has the time trial on wednesday to think about, so no time to contemplate his achievement....yet!!

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Did I see it correctly? Carapaz and McNulty sped up just before the final feed and were allowed to go on the basis that they were probably just grabbing a bag. However, they took no food at all, powered through the feeding point and consolidated the break immediately afterwards. Brilliant tactics, presumably thought out well in advance, and fully worthy of the win.

Dunce of the day: the BBC. During the critical stages of the race they cut the commentary to splice in an interview with Mark Cavendish (not his fault) — a real kick-the-TV moment — and then a few minutes later, still in the critical phase, showed a gymnast who was in the process of qualifying in the heats of his event — not even a semi-final, let alone a final. Memories flood back of inane commentaries on Nicole Cooke's rides from BBC journalists who did not know a sprocket from a chainwheel; and that epic world track championship where they screened a summary of the whole championship during the full-on action stages of the madison so that when they finally put the madison on screen there remained only 10 laps or so of defensive riding to protect the gains made during the part which viewers had been prevented from seeing. BBC, please, please find some sports producers who actually know how cycling works!

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Did I see it correctly? Carapaz and McNulty sped up just before the final feed and were allowed to go on the basis that they were probably just grabbing a bag. However, they took no food at all, powered through the feeding point and consolidated the break immediately afterwards. Brilliant tactics, presumably thought out well in advance, and fully worthy of the win.

Dunce of the day: the BBC. During the critical stages of the race they cut the commentary to splice in an interview with Mark Cavendish (not his fault) — a real kick-the-TV moment — and then a few minutes later, still in the critical phase, showed a gymnast who was in the process of qualifying in the heats of his event — not even a semi-final, let alone a final. Memories flood back of inane commentaries on Nicole Cooke's rides from BBC journalists who did not know a sprocket from a chainwheel; and that epic world track championship where they screened a summary of the whole championship during the full-on action stages of the madison so that when they finally put the madison on screen there remained only 10 laps or so of defensive riding to protect the gains made during part viewers had been prevented from seeing. BBC, please, please find some sports producers who actually know how cycling works!
Carapaz was still blagging it from the Tour 😁

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not at all surprising. BBC will studiously ignore all cycling unless there happens to be a British rider likely to win. Then they will cover it grudgingly and badly.

Reactions: mjr

yello

Not at all surprising. BBC will studiously ignore all cycling unless there happens to be a British rider likely to win.

Happens here in France too, except it's not just cycling. (Actually, in fairness, cycling understandably tends to be pretty well treated.... so long as there's a French cyclist!) But, yes, they'll cut away, mid event, from some coverage to show a French athlete prepping, wiping their nose or somesuch. I can understand the why of it but it doesn't stop it being frustrating.

Last edited:

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I don't get why peeps criticize the bbc coverage. Its the same in every country. They cover sports that their audience is interested in.

I was watching Belgian TV and, according to them, WvA was the only rider in it - until he, er wasn't.

My trainee (Belgian), sent me an sms at 6am to tell me to turn the tele on to watch BE get its first gold of the games. Fans around the world are as daft as each other!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
BBC sports coverage has always been sketchy. They were forever swapping channels and then swapping back during cricket and tennis historically, making recording a lottery. Before remote controls, (I am very, very old!!!) , you even had to get out of the chair to swap channels unless you had a very long stick...:whistle:
I watched some BBC coverage this morning, while listening to GCN+ commentary, and they changed from mainstream to red button and back enough times for me to give up on them.

Top Bottom