OMM competitors beaten by weather, shock!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I suppose they were hoping to take attention away from the financial catastrophe and the USA election!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The media don't understand risk and self-sufficiency, nor what these kind of events are about. They'll be calling for privatised rescue services and insurance, also not understanding the nature of mtn rescue in this country or any of the associated philosophies.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Here's the report from my mate and his wife who were running together:

1. Finished the route on Saturday and arrived at the over night camp without much trouble, despite having a late start time.

2. Really pissed off when told the event was 'cancelled'.

3. Ran back over Honister Pass from Buttermere to the start at Seathwaite.

4. Found the car underwater.

5. Hitched a ride on a Landrover out of the valley. Caught train home to Grange and ran 1O miles back to their house.

6. Returned on Sunday with their campervan and towed the car home.

Seemed fairly self reliant to me.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Wife and I ran the " C " class course.
Had a thoroughly enjoyable day in the hills despite the challenging conditions. Recorded our best ever Day 1 time, and rather disappointed to arrive at mid-way camp and be informed that Day 2 cancelled.
Headed back to Event HQ as instructed by marshals, only to be turned round at Honister by the mine owner. Spent night in our own tent (not in one of the rather smelly cow sheds used as emercency shelters), and returned to Borrowdale am Sunday - so, whilst not beaten by the weather, we were among the "1700 unacccounted for". Fortunately our car not affected by flooding.

Turns out that the origin of much of inaccurate reporting (especially the phrase about "inches from turning the area into a morgue") can be found at the slate mine.... and especially the owner, Mr Weir, who spent much of his time on the phone to the nearest BBC reporter in Cockermouth, while his staff got on with cheerfully serving cups of tea to those runners who decided not to continue.

Fortunately the print media (e.g.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...treme-world-of-mountain-marathons-975372.html ) has a slightly saner view than what was reported over the weekend by the BBC - all that succeeded in doing was worrying friends and relatives back at home.

Please boycott the Honister Slate Mine attractions - should you happen to be going that way, sad to say that Mr Weir, although he has done much for local economy, is an arrogant, obnoxious ass - with a very keen eye for opportunities for free publicity.

PaulB

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
Turns out that the origin of much of inaccurate reporting (especially the phrase about "inches from turning the area into a morgue") can be found at the slate mine.... and especially the owner, Mr Weir, who spent much of his time on the phone to the nearest BBC reporter in Cockermouth, while his staff got on with cheerfully serving cups of tea to those runners who decided not to continue.

Please boycott the Honister Slate Mine attractions - should you happen to be going that way, sad to say that Mr Weir, although he has done much for local economy, is an arrogant, obnoxious ass - with a very keen eye for opportunities for free publicity.

My thoughts exactly.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
not, I hasten to add, That I wanted to see casualties.

Just the usual media burlarks innit.

Top Bottom