One of my favourite facts is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Auntie Helen said:
Although I thought that came from Hebrew Yodh (not sure about the tittle), Matthew 5:18. In the Greek it is an 'iota' (name for letter i) and a 'dot' which would presumably refer to pointing in Hebrew (if it was around then).

Opinion is divided:

In the Greek original translated as English "jot and tittle" is found iota and keraia.[1] Iota is the smallest letter of the Greek alphabet (ι), and was used as a small diacritic below other vowels (the hypogegrammeni) in ancient Greek texts. Alternatively, it may represent the Hebrew or Aramaic yodh (י) which is the smallest letter of the Hebrew and Aramaic alphabets

(wikipedia)

just jim

Lewisian Gneiss, found in North West Scotland is the oldest rock in Europe - 3000 Million Years old. But younger than The Rolling Stones!!!!!!!....!!.....!

twowheelsgood

ianrauk said:
that a cubic square mile of fog can be condensed into a one gallon container

Don't believe it.

1 gallon (imperial to be generous) is 4.55litres which is 4.55kg for pure water

One mole of H2O weighs 18g (ignoring small amounts of odd isotopes)

Therefore 1 gallon contains 4550/18 = 252.56 mols

At STP 262.56 mols of water vapour would occupy (22.4 litres per mol) = 5657 litres

1 litre is 2.4*10-13 cubic miles according to the interweb meaning 5657 litres equates to 1 part in 736 million odd.

Now as water vapour varies between 0 and 4%, of the atmosphere, I don't think that would make any difference.

Yes I am bored today...

Pottsy

bonj said:
This is bollocks. The total amount of people alive today is about ONE TENTH of the amount of people who have ever lived.

I know, I made it up. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on it. :biggrin:

U

User482

Of all the people alive in the USA today, an equivalent to one quarter of one skeleton will end up as a fossil.

twowheelsgood said:
Don't believe it.

1 gallon (imperial to be generous) is 4.55litres which is 4.55kg for pure water

One mole of H2O weighs 18g (ignoring small amounts of odd isotopes)

Therefore 1 gallon contains 4550/18 = 252.56 mols

At STP 262.56 mols of water vapour would occupy (22.4 litres per mol) = 5657 litres

1 litre is 2.4*10-13 cubic miles according to the interweb meaning 5657 litres equates to 1 part in 736 million odd.

Now as water vapour varies between 0 and 4%, of the atmosphere, I don't think that would make any difference.

Yes I am bored today...

Ah, but you're forgetting this is a cubic square mile. A lot of water can get lost inthose extra dimensions. :biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
User482 said:
Of all the people alive in the USA today, an equivalent to one quarter of one skeleton will end up as a fossil.

Good fact, User482! Is it true?

Uncle Mort said:
My friend Glenn can fart the opening bars of God Save The Queen.

Including the "she ain't no human being" bit?

There are more atoms in a glass of water than there are glasses of water in the seas and oceans.

U

User482

theclaud said:
Good fact, User482! Is it true?

Yes, if you believe Bill Bryson in "A Short History of Nearly Everything". It's stunningly hard to become a fossil. The overwhelming abundance of marine fossils (compared with land fossils) is mainly because marine creatures are much more likely to be buried and preserved in sediments. Only certain rock types will preserve fossil remains (sedimentary is where it's at). Most bones simply weather away.

I think there was an article in New Scientist once, on how to give yourself the best chance of becoming a fossil. I'll see if I can find it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ianrauk said:
Another Elephant fact..

They are the only animal to have 4 knees.

Sorry, no. They have the same number of knees (2) and elbows (2) as any other land mammal.

They look a bit different because their leg proportions differ from many other quadrupeds. But they have exactly the same skeletal elements as a horse, a dog, or you.

I've just spent a day explaining the relative homogeneity of the vertebrate skeleton to a bunch of 14 year olds....

U

User482

Their legs all bend forward though - isn't that unusual?

montage

God Almighty
Arch said:
Sorry, no. They have the same number of knees (2) and elbows (2) as any other land mammal.

They look a bit different because their leg proportions differ from many other quadrupeds. But they have exactly the same skeletal elements as a horse, a dog, or you.

I've just spent a day explaining the relative homogeneity of the vertebrate skeleton to a bunch of 14 year olds....

uhoh...a Biology teacher? :tongue:

How many knees does a Bee have?

Top Bottom