Open Offices are too loud.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Kirstie said:
OK - so to be more constructive, you could suggest to your boss that she invests in a white noise machine for your work area. They are not expensive, and they stop conversation and other noises transmitting in open plan work areas. We have them in our offices, which are also open plan.

Sounds interesting...linky?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
They emit white noise - a certain frequency similar to the noise a fridge makes - which drowns out other ambient noise, hence there's fewer distractions.

If it's all the same to you, I'll stick to plugging in my headphones and listening to music on youtube ;) I find it enough to drown out most annoyances (including my boss)!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sittingduck said:
If it's all the same to you, I'll stick to plugging in my headphones and listening to music on youtube ;)

Or of course you could just put a fridge next to your desk :thumbsup:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I work as the only male in a small open plan office with 6 other women. I'm loud voiced, release a lot of energy/bluster, am a major ranter and all-round drama queen.
Apparently this causes some issues... FFS :blush:

But it's not easy being a prima-donna :o)

It's difficult, I can't do quiet, I'm not made that way, I'm loud on the phone, it's just enthusiasm and energy. But our office is generally loud, a lot of movement, it's hard to concentrate at the best of time. I hate it, give me a sound-proof box to work in so I can get on with my stuff in my own weird way without impacting others...
Where there's rage, there's life.

Fab Foodie said:
I work as the only male in a small open plan office with 6 other women. I'm loud voiced, release a lot of energy/bluster, am a major ranter and all-round drama queen.
Apparently this causes some issues... FFS :blush:

But it's not easy being a prima-donna :o)

It's difficult, I can't do quiet, I'm not made that way, I'm loud on the phone, it's just enthusiasm and energy. But our office is generally loud, a lot of movement, it's hard to concentrate at the best of time. I hate it, give me a sound-proof box to work in so I can get on with my stuff in my own weird way without impacting others...
Where there's rage, there's life.

It's the additives...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
Apparently this causes some issues... FFS :o)

Okay, okay - stop showing off :blush: :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User1314 said:
"....I've probably been too subtle, with you being a bloke."
I hope you responded by belching loudly and scratching your bollocks whilst mumbling "oh, sorry about that luv. Any chance of a brew?"

my dad had his own office before they shuffled things about,

people fought tooth and nail for about five years for him to keep his office through 3 re-shuffleings but the 4th re-shuffle put him in the open office i believe.

its not that he's noisy, he just gets fed up of the computer network going down and will stand up, shout and throw a memory stick since its easier than e-mail.

that and his filing system works by knowing when he last had something for where it must be in which pile

Top Bottom