Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
That's almost an identical break to the one I've had for 6-7 years now. My consultant said it was too close to the end to repair but only because I would continue to cycle and falling on it again (If plated/screwed) would leave me in a mess.
The only thing I struggle with is lifting things above head height with my left arm and it does grate a bit if I stretch, yours may be more of a problem though as its the right arm (or it looks like the right from that X-ray) other than that I'm now reasonably pain free unless I do something silly with my arm or overdo things (wallpapering is painful, that's my new excuse for taking a week to do a room. :whistle:)
Fortunately it is my left arm and you're right, obviously if there's a plate in it I could do serious damage.
He suggested repairing the CC ligaments, effectively pulling the clavicle back down but given how invasive that is, it's going to put me out of action for some time, which I'm obviously keen to avoid. I wonder if I had still had private health care (as I had with work some time ago) if they'd have been more keen to whip me in. That however is a different conversation entirely.
I guess we'll see how we go over the next month, mobility is relatively good, however I will be less "hands on" at rugby training for a bit.

Sods_Laur

Nice x ray. Hope you continue to heal well. Looks like there is sufficient distance at the end of the clavicle to avoid unpleasant grinding which is all to the good though some of that might be swelling and will reduce maybe. Hope you're sleeping ok, I found it very awkward to be basically propped upright on pillows supporting my arm and being unable to move!

OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
Nice x ray. Hope you continue to heal well. Looks like there is sufficient distance at the end of the clavicle to avoid unpleasant grinding which is all to the good though some of that might be swelling and will reduce maybe. Hope you're sleeping ok, I found it very awkward to be basically propped upright on pillows supporting my arm and being unable to move!
Yep, it's sticking up a bit though. Sleeping is ok but not on the left hand side. It's still early days I guess

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yep, it's sticking up a bit though. Sleeping is ok but not on the left hand side. It's still early days I guess
Will take a while. I got mine plated 4 months ago and can still only lie on my left side for about half an hour before it starts to ache. Must admit the thought of ever falling on that side again with the plate in scares me a bit.

Sods_Laur

Unless you get an op it will do, unfortunately. My bra strap likes to sit in that little groove at the end of my clavicle now! I don't like sleeping on my right hand side any more, it doesn't hurt but it feels weird. It's probably more mental than anything but I can't get comfortable.

OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
Unless you get an op it will do, unfortunately. My bra strap likes to sit in that little groove at the end of my clavicle now! I don't like sleeping on my right hand side any more, it doesn't hurt but it feels weird. It's probably more mental than anything but I can't get comfortable.
Hmmm now that's something I didn't think of, hopefully it'll help hook my bib shorts on.
In more positive news(optimism mode deployed), Mrs D has bought me a new Torm jersey for our anniversary (awww) to replace the one I was wearing and I've just taken advantage of the Ribble 12% off to replace the wheelset

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Wore a new sports bra on a run this morning.......only just over 4 miles......but the strap rubbed on the clavicle as it sits higher with the plate. Just left a red sore bit, but another couple of miles and I think it would have been bleeding. Hoping it calms down eventually, or I will need to look at ways to alleviate the pressure by improvising a bit of padding or something. Don't really want to go down the route of having the plate removed I don't think.

OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
Wore a new sports bra on a run this morning.......only just over 4 miles......but the strap rubbed on the clavicle as it sits higher with the plate. Just left a red sore bit, but another couple of miles and I think it would have been bleeding. Hoping it calms down eventually, or I will need to look at ways to alleviate the pressure by improvising a bit of padding or something. Don't really want to go down the route of having the plate removed I don't think.
Owww! You may get used to it but it's not the ideal location to toughen up skin.

Sods_Laur

Sounds unpleasant. Have other sports bras been ok? They make my shoulder ache a bit because the straps are tighter than a normal bra and push down on the clavicle. I haven't had issues with rubbing though. Bodyglide might be worth a try.

OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
More exercises from Physio, each time I see someone the "Operation-opinion-ameter" seems to swing back and forth. We shall see when I speak to consultant on 4th

MEANWHILE....I may still be in separate parts but the one thing I can do something about... R501s arrived at a shade over £63 (please refer threads passim)
BOX.jpg

OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
Right, well that seems to be that then. Physio is happy with me as is consultant. I just need to build up the muscles in the shoulder blade. I can always pop back if condition deteriorates but I've been told to get back to "full on" cycling or what ever else to test any limitations.
Funnily enough @Sods_Laur and @Mo1959 , the consultant did mention the main issues are with women and bra straps but I can see why Zdeněk Štybar would have issues sholdering his bike. Any foolish thoughts of cyclocross may have to wait another year

Can they not fuse the bones? I have non union in my neck, but it has only been 5 months now, but they have said they can fuse it if needs be.

Top Bottom