Paris - Nice 2016 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davos87

Guru
What? Thomaaaaaa Vooooclaire is the correct pronunciation?
Rest of the commentating fraternity must all be dead wrong then.
He sounds a right pretentious nob IMHO.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What? Thomaaaaaa Vooooclaire is the correct pronunciation?
Rest of the commentating fraternity must all be dead wrong then.
It's closer to correct than P&P, based on how France3 say it. It's rather irritating when commentators persistently mangle names in common languages... but the English speaking ones aren't alone in it. German and French commentary often pronounce names as if they're in their languages which can be mystifying sometimes. I can't remember who it was on Sunday (might have been Richie Porte) but I didn't recognise the name until the summariser said it closer to correct.

mjr

And then just to baffle me, the Euronews presenter (probably based in Paris) says Arnaud Day-mah-rey, which is a novel pronounciation both more correct (the first e is a é) and more wrong (the second e isn't) than most English commentators!

fimm

Veteran
I don't know about French speakers, but Spanish or Italian would certainly want to say "Por-tay" rather than "Port" for Porte.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I got mercilessly ribbed at work recently for pronouncing Tom Boonen's name 'correctly' (Bone-en rather than Boon-en, in case you were wondering). It's just not worth trying.

I don't think P&P have ever knowingly pronounced Voeckler's name the same way twice.

Hont

Guru
German and French commentary often pronounce names as if they're in their languages which can be mystifying sometimes.
Particularly enjoying France 3's Yan Stannar for Ian Stannard.

Hont

Guru
I got mercilessly ribbed at work recently for pronouncing Tom Boonen's name 'correctly' (Bone-en rather than Boon-en, in case you were wondering). It's just not worth trying.
Indeed. I've given up pronouncing names with ova at then end (as in Navratilova) 'correctly' for that reason. Although some commentators get Boonen right so your colleagues sound like they're watching P+P. In which case they have my sympathy. ;-)

mjr

Not a great stage so far and now a spectator and a rider have collided and neither look in good shape :sad:

Edit: rider was Pierre-Luc Perichon of Fortuneo-Vital Concept

Last edited:

Hont

Guru
Another very dodgy sprint. Can't for the life of me see what Bouhanni was waving his arms for. He's lucky he's not lying in the road. That's a DQ for me.

Top Bottom