Pavement cycling/RLJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
User3143 said:
...you even went as far to say that the actions of a RLJer would have an adverse effect on drivers and the way they see other cyclists?!?

Of course it does - it's drivers' number-one gripe about cyclists. Whether you think think RLJing is okay or not, you can't deny that it pisses people off!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Carwash said:
Of course it does - it's drivers' number-one gripe about cyclists. Whether you think think RLJing is okay or not, you can't deny that it pisses people off!

Hmmm I seem to remember a certain Mr Usherwood of York...

That demonstrates the idea that there are some nutters out there that dislike cyclists anyway.

U

User482

User3143 said:
Yeah and as I have said before I would only RLJ if it is ''safe''. However you are not being flexible at all, you even went as far to say that the actions of a RLJer would have an adverse effect on drivers and the way they see other cyclists?!?

You still don't think your overzealous? give it up User482 there will always be people that RLJ. I'm not posting anymore on this thread because this is now beyond boring.

I know for a fact that the actions of RLJers affect how drivers perceive cyclists as a whole.

Anyway, duck out if you want to. All you've shown is that you RLJ because you don't want to wait for a few seconds. You keep telling me that you only RLJ if it's safe, but given the very small number of occasions that this is genuinely true, you either a) hardly ever RLJ or xx( RLJ when it isn't truly safe to do so. I'm guessing :smile:.

U

User482

User3143 said:
At 0200hrs on an empty junction with the mythical cars!:smile::rofl:

sorry I had to post this, right no more!xx(

So that's the only time you ever RLJ is it? Thought not. It's amazing the extrapolations some people make to try and justify their actions.

Radius

SHREDDER
User482, just to be clear, if it was 2am or whatever time at night, and everything was completely quiet, not a soul around, would you stop at a red light?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Radius said:
User482, just to be clear, if it was 2am or whatever time at night, and everything was completely quiet, not a soul around, would you stop at a red light?
I still would. About 15 of us waited at a red light at 4am a few years ago on the Dun Run. Several others didn't, and nearly got hit by a police car.

Radius

SHREDDER
Baggy said:
I still would. About 15 of us waited at a red light at 4am a few years ago on the Dun Run. Several others didn't, and nearly got hit by a police car.

Well sounds like they weren't being very vigilant then to be honest...

Carwash

Señor Member
Radius said:

Indeed not. But I bet they thought they were. And I bet they 'knew' it was safe, too.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Radius said:
The car didn't have its blues and twos on, and the lights were on a staggered crossroads.

Vigilance didn't have much to do with it, but it was 4am and they didn't expect anything to be around, and it was completely quiet...

Radius

SHREDDER
Fair point, although lots of blue flashing lights and / or noise generally gets the idea across....

EDIT: Just read above post. Surely that's against the law? Unless it wasn't responding to a call...

Radius

SHREDDER
Oh, well I thought you meant a fast moving police car etc. but anyway, their assumption / assessment of safe obviously wasn't good enough. But I am not getting into an argument over it, people will never bring each other round, and I am not condoning dangerous RLJing.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Radius said:
Oh, well I thought you meant a fast moving police car etc. but anyway, their assumption / assessment of safe obviously wasn't good enough. But I am not getting into an argument over it, people will never bring each other round, and I am not condoning dangerous RLJing.

Fair enough, I'm not really arguing, I took your question to User482 as inference he wouldn't stop at 2am, in a "well, who would?" kind of way.

Radius

SHREDDER
Well I suppose it was liable to come across like that because I cannot lie and say I would, so that is sort of what I was saying, minus the aggressiveness that I've tried to avoid. Any other time, but not on smaller deserted streets at night (might do at big junctions etc)

Top Bottom