Pavement cycling/RLJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

User3143 said:
I doubt that, many a time I have gone through a red light when there has been no traffic at all.

You're referring to yourself again. It's instructive that you make no reference to the safety of pedestrians.

U

User482

User3143 said:
I doubt that, many a time I have gone through a red light when there has been no traffic at all. If you was riding hom from work at 0200hrs and you came up a junction that had no traffic on it at all. Would you stay at the red light?

This is just rehashing the safespeed lobby - always banging on about the mythical empty motorway at 3am.

BTW - yes I would stop.

U

User482

Radius said:
User482 not looking to cause argument, although that seems rather fruitless given the current circumstances, but how is it then *your* place to say when it's safe if it's not theirs...

It's not. I'm saying that I would be unable to judge whether it's safe or not. So the most sensible course of action is to wait at the lights.

U

User482

User3143 said:
I think I would be able to see peds, just was well as I can see other motor vehicles. Can you give an answer as well please to my previous question.

I doubt that. Pedestrians don't wear lights and are usually in dark clothing. Rather harder to spot than a car.

U

User482

User3143 said:
hmmm, nothing mythical about an empty junction! or is there....xx(

You're trying to justify RLJing by referring to empty junctions at 2am. Do you only jump the lights in these circumstances?

U

User482

Funtboy said:
Where would the peds be in this case and how would one jepardise their safety?

I don't know where they would be, which is precisely the point.

U

User482

User3143 said:
No not at all. just wanted to get a feel for how over zealous you are about RLJ

Well then, referring to the 2am example is a cherry pick, and so isn't useful in the debate.

Perhaps you should look up what "over zealous" actually means.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Depends, people often willingly overlook how busy a place is if it suits them. I used to live near a 20 zone that was a busy cycle and ped route almost 24hrs a day and was subject to frequent speeding and the lame ass excuse of well it's after midnight it is quiet (they just deliberately ignored what they didn't like and babbled on about well yes it should be a 20mph zone at school times and school times only).

U

User482

User3143 said:
I'm serious now, would you not see them? the idea of most junctions and crossings is that they are fairly open to allow all motorists,peds,cyclists etc to see each other

Hmm, dark night, poorly lit road, ped suddenly sees the green man and dashes across, misty, dark clothing, rush hour.

All potential risks that can be eliminated by the ridiculously Draconian suggestion of waiting for a few seconds at the lights.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
User3143 said:
I'm serious now, would you not see them? the idea of most junctions and crossings is that they are fairly open to allow all motorists,peds,cyclists etc to see each other

A junction near me you can't even see traffic straight on because of a dip, let alone perpendicularly, which is why I have referred to the game Chicken, it sums it up very well. Another common junction that suffered from RLJing by cars where I have lived previously was similarly a double blind junction.

U

User482

User3143 said:
Once again, the application of common sense I would be riding in respect of the conditions of the road.

Is there a mod out there? as this is getting boring and is time to be thrown in the bin with all the other rubbish.

Right, so we're starting to narrow it down now. You would only RLJ when:

There is no traffic
There are no pedestrians
There is no possibility of pedestrians or traffic appearing suddenly
Weather conditions are good
The junction is brightly lit.

Yeah, of course you would...

And the thing about common sense is that it's not that common. The common sense approach would be to eliminate all these risks by waiting at the lights.

Top Bottom